Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

For my online class, the discussion forums is the tool I use to perform the assessment. The question often asks how they can apply the course objective to their jobs or the industry. I also often ask what they have learned, what they want to learn and how has the session affected their every day lives. Students are often encouraged to elaborate on their topic if they lack details in their response. During the process, this encourages students to think deeper. Students often realize that they either have learned more than they thought or learned less than they thought. If less is the case, I encourage them to review the materials once more and come back to discuss their findings.

I completely forgot about case studies!! I think they are a great tool for the classroom. This presents real life scenarios and usually is a great way to engage students in discussion and participation. Case studies often present unusual and interesting scenarios; students love those and they don't even realize they are learning while doing a case study.

good point. they need to know that life is interesting and learning tools to navigate life help!

Victoria, I also teach online where the curriculum is already designed. One thing I like to do in my discussion area is add additional questions or areas of research that push the student to move deeper into the topic. Some of them expand the discussion based on point of view or opinion and sometimes I will ask the student to perform more research to answer a particular question related to the original topic. I find that this not only allows me to personalize the course but also keeps the student engaged in the discussion because there is always something new (but still related) to talk about.

My online class does require that the students submit a portfolio at the end of the course. This serves as a summative assessment tool that shows what important ideas and concepts the student took from participating in the course. The students are also encouraged to collect their portfolio assignments from all of their online courses and continue to use them when job hunting or working in a related field. Other methods of using authentic assessments in my courses would include the discussion area where I often require students to discuss their real world experiences and opinions that relate to the discussion topic. I also assign projects that require students to submit work products that mimic those they may be asked for from a future employer.

I do this as well and I find that it really helps the student remain focused and interested in the material being presented.

Nia, that is a good response. It does allow you to build that relationship as well keep curriculum current.

Before students begin the courses I teach they have done a significant amount of Authentic as well as alternative assessment. The courses I teach are mostly bookwork which goes beyond their previous training. We do have some Authentic assessment though, which consist of; writing papers on various topics which will require research to accomplish and be in a required format. They will be tasked with demonstrating their ability to do piping design calculations for refrigerant and water systems as well as load calculations for air conditionng and heating of residential and commercial buildings. They are also tasked with calculating indoor air quality using a psychrometric charts. We also have them write a business plan which is rated by how well they used and understood the instructional material. Some of these are part of the final assessments which are mostly alternative.

Apart of every syllabus there is a grade for a portfolio , a project, participation, homework/classwork, quizzes, and exams. The authentic assessment allows the student that suffers from test anxiety to show their knowledge, skills, and abilities by way of a hands on presentation such as performing the steps of venapuncture or capillary puncture.

Students complete case studies which ask them to apply their learning to real life situations . These exercises require students to use critical thinking skills and analysis of their lessons to respond. These assessments highlight the students ability to use the lessons' materials in practical ways.

Beyond the individual courses, we ask students to maintain portfolios throughout their program. These portfolios are submitted with their graduate petitions. The students are often pleased to see the progress that they make over the course of the program but we also use the portfolios to evaluate our performance. If students do not make significant progress in their skills, there is something wrong with our delivery.

I created a digital webpage that gave concrete real world examples of my educational technology learning objectives.

I have a course in which the students work on a network improvement plan that they build on each week. In that project I grade each submission and the student has to make improvements based on my comments. At the end of the session they turn in a final paper.

good point , I also find that case studies help students to visualize the concept. To make it concrete in their mind beyond theory . Like story telling, helping them to remember the larger concept.

During and after the nursing student finishes with their assigned time performing patient care related activities on the unit, when the day's experiences are discussed with the instructor and the other students. We discuss the real-life scenarios they experienced during the shift and/or previous related or similar experiences during the week or previously, including responses/actions/activities by all person's involved.

As a nursing instructor, I use authentic assessment often throughout the nursing courses I've thought. The student must recount verbally and document the actual care given to the patients.

I use authentic assessment primarily in the DB forum that is part of each unit. The discussion questions ask the students to apply research and/or real world examples as they respond to the questions on the Assignment List. To deepen the discussion and help to further the application to the real world, I make it a point to post replies to the posts of all students. In my responses, I often share an example from my own experience, and ask them to consider what they see in their workplace. I often share articles/case studies and we use those to further connect the concepts to what we see in the real world. I have found that students are generally excited to share their experiences, and I often see how the concepts “click’ in their minds as they respond back to my questions and questions from their peers.

I did not do online in college and at this time I am not teaching online. Will consider it when the opportunity presents itself.

when I teach the bilingual program of Medical Assistant,the anatomy and physiology module in order to teach them the most common symptoms and signs of diseases related to the body system that they are learning I give the different study cases to review in groups and them they present the cases some simulating being the patients with the symptoms and other the medical assistants in a doctor's office

In my fashion courses I ask students to research a specific historical period, analyze the current designers that have been inspired by such periods and post images for evidence, and then create their own modernized version of designs based on the period. I also open a forum in order to have students ask questions and interact with the whole class and also to allow me to provide feedback. So far, it has worked.

Very little, but have gotten good responses when I do.

Sign In to comment