Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Donald,

I would love to take your course!!!! I agree with you. To really get project management you have to use case based, scenario based learning. You have to let them see the role all part of project management play and what happens when a part goes down. You can't do that with an objective exam.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Cynthia,

Interesting, how would that be considered authentic assessment?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Robin ,

It is pretty authentic! When you have them incorporate their learning in their real world you are helping them make that connection that is so important.
Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The university I teach for uses Student Portfolios for authentic assessments. The students have access to all prior work. I encourage the students to compare past work with present work. Most students will immediately see the progression that has been made from one semester to the next and especially recognize the progression from year to year. It is often the tool I need to encourage those ready to graduate to pursue the next level of education be that a Bachelor's degree or Master's degree.

Michelle,

That is such a great way to show students what they have learned. So many times we as educators can see the progression but we need the students to see it. Don't you love seeing them comment about their work. It is also a great way to teach students to be able evaluate their own work.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

In the allied health field we sometimes have students who have worked in one area of healthcare and want to branch into an adjacent area. This previous knowledge provides an added perspective that I sometimes use in class with discussions and in subjective assessments.

Jerri,

It does add so much to the discussion. You want to make sure students can make the connection between class content and the real world.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

In our school we have with observations however those observations are from other instructors sitting in classes and evaluating the class. Other than that I have not used this type of assessment

I have not but am curious about portfolios - I think they have a lot of potential value.

Dr. Wilkinson,

In my online Math and Computer courses, I have used real-world projects and assignments.

Students are given the opportunity to implement their learning, knowledge, and skills in order to make group observations, solve real-life problems, and demonstrate meaningful application.

-Khal

Hi Dr. Wilkinson,
In my opinion, authentic assessment should be the primary form of assessment to determine student’s knowledge, skills, or competencies. I teach graduate level accounting courses and to ensure that students master certain competencies I utilize portfolios, performance, and observations to evaluate their progress in a course. At the beginning of the course, students are required to review annual financial statements and create a portfolio. As the course progresses, we study the rational of all the items in the financial statements and students are required to update their portfolios accordingly. Half way into the semester, I ask students to go online to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) website to download the financial statement of any company of their interest and then analyze and evaluate the company’s performance for the year. This type of assessment exposes students to real life company financial statements and enables them to evaluate their performance based on the results of their analysis. Students are required to review their portfolio if they have questions regarding how to perform required financial statement analysis.

Dr. Kelly,

Based on the lesson, authentic assessment looks to accomplish several goals; of those listed, one is that students will use higher order thinking. In this exercise, in order to be successful, you must to analyze the text, even though it is a predetermined option for the answer.

Plagiarism can be easier with today's technology. The test is rarely passed in two tries because most students think plagiarism is about direct copying and not necessarily lack of or incorrect citations.

Dr. Vessel

Hello,

In the computer applications course we use several authentic assessments. Students are asked to discuss how people in various careers utilize the applications we are learning. The students typically write a 3 - 4 paragraph response regarding their findings. This is very helpful, because the assessments encourages the student to think about how they will be using the applications in their own personal lives and careers.

Warm Regards,
Annabel

Sarah,

It is a start. You just want to find ways for students to showcase their work, in a more realistic setting or environment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jennifer,

Portfolios can really create a solid learning environment. I also think it teaches students to give and receive constructive feedback which is real world.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Khal,

Good for you! This is my opinion, but. . . . I think we need more math instructors like you. Students have to connect math to their career and/or major. They have to learn to value it and for most students that won't happen unless math instructors like you "connect the dots" for them.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Augustine,

What absolutely fantastic strategies. This is so innovative and really does incorporate learning and assessment in a variety of ways. What do your students think about it?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Cynthia,

Great post! I am reading a book now called Cheating Lessons by James Lang about the culture of assessment and the impetus to cheat. It really does talk about the different views of cheating. It has been a eye opener already. . .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Annabel,

What a great strategy to have students explain their learning. It makes them think about it more. You do want them to apply their skills.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Based on the definitions of both types of assessment, I don't use many authentic assessments. Most of my assessments are alternative assessments. The only assignment I require, which can be considered an authentic assessment, is a peer review. I am an English teacher and in my 6th (out of 8 weeks) week, after I have been the editor in chief of all submitted assignments, I have students pair up and edit each other's papers. They are to look for all of the grammar rules we have learned, and also, provide feedback regarding organization and essay development. I am considering this an authentic assessment because they have to show what they can know through action, rather than simply respond to a question or formulate an opinion.

Sign In to comment