Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

FYI...in the "instructional design" world, formative evaluations are used to improve instruction. They are not used to evaluate learner performance but instead improve learner performance through the design/redesign of instruction. In other words, evaluation is meant to improve, not prove, or to put it another way,

"when the cook tastes the soup, that's formative; when the guest tastes the soup, that's summative" (Robert Stake, Professor Emeritus of Education at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign).

I like to include both. Though I am more traditional in my approach and thus choose true & false and multiple choice more often.
Because online classes allow students to use their textbooks, I do think open-ended questions are best for judging understanding.

Bottom-line, I have used both. After this learning I may move towards adding more subjective evaluations!

Dr. Janis McFaul

Hello
I use a mix of both subjective and objective assessments in my classrooms. Many times, it depends upon the specific course and the objectives of that course. I see the value of both using objective and subjective methods when evaluating student’s progress.
I like to use true/false, multiple choice, and matching question when the subject is very factual based such courses include (but not limited too) geography, economics, and maybe even computers. However, for other types of courses such as history, sociology, and psychology, I have found that a subjective assessment is a better way of assessment. Subjective assessment grants the students an opportunity to prove mastery of a particular topic and connect both the micro to macro view of said knowledge through an essential question, usually generated through a socratic question. Of course, along with the subjective assessment, the grading rubric is essential. I will never test a student subjectively without them first having access to and the opportunity to review the corresponding rubric. This allows the student to understand what is expected of them and it all ties back to the course objective and goals. Any time we instructors generate an assessment it has to be based on the standard course of study or course objectives to appropriately know that learning is taking place.

My employer does not utilize objective evaluations to determine comprehension related to student grades. Students can find modules in the campus that allow them to test their own knowledge objectively; but such resources are for their benefit alone and not monitored by faculty. All outcome/objective-based assessments of student comprehension are subjective. I do post my rubrics for all assignments that are available to all students for the duration of the course. While such evaluations are indeed more challenging to assess, rubrics allow for both validity and reliability in the process.

What an excellent analogy from Robert Stake to illustrate the difference between formative and summative. Thank you, Jolly!

I’ve only ever worked for universities that use subjective evaluations. I remember the first time I graded using formative feedback and I realized MY OWN level of consistency was off. Students I graded in the morning received much higher grades than students I graded in the evening…huhm, I wonder why!!

I also realized that when I was grading a particular student, I would sometimes go back to look for students who made similar mistakes so that I could make sure I gave similar responses.

Based on this experience from my very first class, I now label each rubric based on a description of error or attainment so I don’t give more (or less) credit for the same thing based on my mood!

I teach graduate students in a Master's of Education program. Our goal is to test students at the higher levels of Bloom's Taxonomy. We provide hypothetical scenarios where the students have to use the theories and concepts that we discuss in class to come up with a solution to a problem or to suggest an new approach to doing something. This type of assessment is appropriate for students at this level.

I instruct Environmental Science at two schools. At one institution, instructors cannot change the assignments. All evaluations are subjective. At the other institution, faculty can change assignments as long as weekly objectives are met. At the latter school, I opted for a quiz rather than a paper. There is some subjectivity as I include an essay question; but there is a mixture of questions with some objective questions. There is room for both.

I believe that some students would prefer objective evaluations (especially those with writing deficiencies); while a good researcher and writer would prefer the subjective evaluation.

Dr. Wilkinson, I use essay a lot for my assessments, meaning, that subjective evalutations is a big part of my classes. And to answer your question asked to Dania, I definitely grade for punctuation and grammar. I believe that a properly written essay consists both of quality content, and proper grammar and spelling.

I personally believe that a combination of essay and multiple choice works best. Students who may not be the best writers are still able to get some points from the multiple choice, while those who excel at writing but perhaps don't memorize well have the opportunity to earn points from the essays. This has always worked well for me in the past.

Professor Christen Embry
AIU Online

One type of subjective evaluation is grading projects (such as in graphic design and web design projects). When grading something that is subjective and incorporates the instructor's opinion, it is best to use a grading rubric and measure the students work based on it.

I have used a mix of the evaluations and sometimes within the same evaluation 1/2 multiple choice, 1/2 essay. These seem to work well because they test subject matter as well as the students ability to think and process.

This is a good point, the short answer type questions allow the student to think, but also make the test concise and not so daunting for the student.

I have use multiple type of evaluations base on the desired outcome. Depending on the specific focus I was giving to a topic, I decided how students were supposed to understand that specific topic. When I wanted them to be able to elaborate an answer and show therefore their analytical skills, then I used the subjective evaluation.

We are uusing discussion boards postings to maintain the onversation during the week. I myself use rubrics related to the course objectives to assess the answers of the questions.
In addition, or I should say principally, we use written assignment to assess mastering of the course objectives.

Kelly,
The lack of grammatical knowledge or the contempt students have for it baffles me. My grand child is just learning the rules of words ending in y, that take a plural in ies. I have students at the graduate level that don't not even know that.
"The company's are taking different steps..."
(I digressed, I know...)

Jack,

I feel your pain. They show contempt for grammar rules but will not brake a social norm "rules" or texting rules.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jack,

That is what most people feel comfortable doing and they serve an important purpose.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Robert,

What a thoughtful answer. I dare say that many instructors don't spend the time required for an effective evaluation.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

MeriAnn,

Good point. It does allow students to ease into essay.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment