Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

MeriAnn,

I prefer doing that as well. It addresses the learning styles well.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Casey,

I agree that punctuation and grammar should be assessed as that is part of authentic assessment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Joel,

It is better to use rubrics in that context. It will allow you to articulate strengths and weaknesses in a course.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have used both and I have had successes and failures with both types. I don't know that one is any better than the other, but I know the students tend to want to see objective evaluations. I think there is a perception that those are easier and I think they can be, particularly if the student is prepared. With that being said though, I have had students fail what were generally considered to be easy tests.

I think what it really comes down to is what you are trying determine with the evaluation. I believe that subjective evaluations are more likely to tell what the student really learned from the course, but I do find that they are more difficult to grade sometimes.

I use aubjective evaluation in all of my classes.
The ability to assess the student understanding of the current point in the curriculum progress is essential for providing effective proficient feedback to support the students understanding for practical performance. The structure of questions provides formative content assessment for feedforward information to address those students that do not have a solid understanding at a high level for process thinking. Those that provide exemplary answers already have an competent personal reality of the material and may not need interaction for the reconstruction of the knowledge as demonstrated. Implementing subjective evaluations ensures that I am able to address the student's reality for revision of understanding to meet the learning objective.

I used more objective tests in physical classrooms that I have in online classrooms. One factor has been that I could create a number of different objective tests for physical classroom use, but this has been more difficult when I have taught online because usually I need to go through several levels to change an assignment. I would want to change objective tests regularly because some students might share answers if the same test is given over and over again.

Much of the curriculum that I use online has assigned essays each week. I can usually alter the subjects or I can allow students to choose subjects. No matter the class, I often grade one or more essays showing possible editing and revision ideas by way of applications such as MS Word "review." It has been considered by a number of administrators that students like to get their papers back with marks directly on them, which in many cases works well.

Kelly,
Maybe the time has come to write assignments using SMS rules? How about that?

Objective evaluations include true/false, multiple choice, and matching questions. Subjective evaluations include open-ended questions, essays, etc. How have you used evaluations in your course?

I use a combination of evaluation methods in my teaching, but for my online classes it is only eassay based and therefore subjective. That being said the criteria and rubrics are very clear- ie 10% for developing questions 1, 30% for point 2, and overall 10% for proper grammar, APA citations, and word count.

In my on-campus classes I use both. They have weekly quizzes in an online format that are ojective, papers to write and a project, as well as a final exam that has a combination of objective and subjective. This way if they are not good at exams, they can still pass the class. Rubrics are provided for all subjective work.

I am in the same situation- my college only used subjective. However we do provide very consistent rubrics and this also makes is it much easier to grade. For example, if one of the questions asked is worth 25% of hte grade and they don't answer it, then I mark them down 25%.

Jolly you have provided a great analogy to illustrate the difference between formative and summative. Well done!

I facilitate online, environment where authentic assessments are used exclusively and assignments are graded based upon grading rubrics. Objective assessments are not used in this online environment. However, instructors have the ability to use objective assessments during live chat session.

Where I teach, we use subjective evaluations only. The classes are designed for the instructors. There are no tests or quizzes. There are five assignments per class. For each assignment, the student will submit a deliverable (like a project or business plan or web or print design). Sometimes there are rubrics given along with the assignments and students will be graded against the rubrics. If there are not, I will create a rubric so that students will know how they will be graded. I think in some ways it would be good for the institution to more objective evaluations so that students can not only show they can do a given assignment, but demonstrate that they also understand some of the underlying principles.

Patty, I think this is a good point. Additionally, subjective evaluations like essays are a good opportunity to help students develop skills organizing and presenting their arguments.

As many have already said, I use a mix. Different learning styles excel on different types of tests. I have had classes where some students will get all of the multiple choice right and do poorly on the essays and students who do poorly on the multiple choice but write excellent essays.

I find multiple choice challenging personally. I was always the student who could rationalize more than one choice, particularly with true/false. I over think them. I always enjoyed essays because it gives you a chance to really explain the concept (plus partial credit if you are still a little fuzzy on some details!) As a teacher I also prefer essays because I think they are more honest indicators of a student's understanding of a subject. However, when a simple recall of facts is what is desired, multiple choice works well enough.

I do a mix- objective as an evaluation tool for assessing whether or not the students are doing the required reading, ect. Then subjective as a form to assess ability to apply information. the subjective tools are essays and demonstrations- teaching part of the content during live lecture or in a recording.

Where I teach, we use subjective evaluations for weekly assignments. These are criterion-references assessments that have been created for instructor use to gain a description of specific knowledge and skills and are mastery-oriented. A grading rubric has been created as well as criteria for each assignment. These tools has been very helpful in helping me to create consistent and fair assessment and evaluation of student work. Further, I can focus of providing in-depth feedback and link the feedback to specific concepts and sections of the weekly readings.

Jolly,

Yes, the great "leveler" in subjective assessments is the rubric. That does allow instructors to be more "objective" in grading.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Janis,

Yes, also our LMS is just now able to set a timed test. This does help with my comfort zone in giving a more objective test online.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

BRIGITTE ,

I think your approach is spot on! I agree with your use of rubrics; you have to have them as it works to guide students as they reflect on their answers.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Trista,

That is interesting. Do you have to create your own rubrics or are they provided?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment