Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Elizabeth,

Great idea. If you have others review their content, they learn to take feedback and use it.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Eileen,

You could do that. The polling features is such a powerful tool.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Mathias,

I agree. It is a great tool for students to create their own learning objects. That can be such a powerful tool.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I would first identify a media hosting site that meets the needs of the class (evaluating accessability, ability to handle a variety of media types etc..)followed by developing specific expectations of use and outcomes for the use of the site. This would lead to building a "trail of use" throughout the term that will allow me to evaluate how the student(s) use the site. eventually the media/ postings will be visible as a collection or portfolio so show how they have used it to for the class. I woudl also make sure to define specific requirements via rubric for usage/ timeline/ file management that would be communicated to students early in the class so we are all on the same page with expectations.

Richard,

Great point. You do have to make sure the tool is appropriate for your objectives. You also make a great point, about file management.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I would use media hosting to facilitate a topic of a particular technique. For example, a blog on how to restore digital images and have students show their work and share tools used to complete.

Jean,

I think that is a great idea! You may want to look at http://www.padlet.com. It will allow you to create public "board" much like Pinterest.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

As an on ground instructor teaching all web-based courses, the majority of the activities and assignments for the students are all incorporated via the publishers media sites provided. Some assignments are being used on the Moodle platform, or the Blackboard. However, whenever I assign group or individual projects, I have incorporated the use of the media hosting and sharing site, YouTube videos. I ask my students to be creative in developing and designing a presentation video based on the assigned topic(s) and criteria required. On the other hand, I will sometime give them an assignment, and ask the students to download a content related YouTube video (already created), into their projects. These assignments seem to keep the students engaged; while at the same time, enhance the learning process. The project assignments also help students to illustrate their knowledge, collaborate on the project; as well as allow access to additional information which they can incorporate into their projects.

Many of the traditional classroom activities such as discussion questions, debates, and tests, have all been converted to the media hosting and sharing sites such as chat room via the publisher media hosting and sharing site.

While I have not used in of the hosting and sharing sites geared toward education, I am looking forward to investigating and utilizing some of them in the near future. Great information!!

Aldgenette,

You have really created great strategies for learning using a variety of tools. I love your ideas. Always remember almost all of our traditional students have phones with cameras so they can record ( and do) anything; why not something educational.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

This post was rather interesting to me. During a faculty meeting, it was brought to our attention that due to copyright infringement issues, we were not allowed to show or direct students to the you tube website. This is in complete contradiction to what was stated inside the CEE forum. I found the videos we were specifically showing students to be beneficial. (Harvesting cacao pods in remote poor areas of Africa and Central America). It is good to know that referring students to these websites is safe and ok.

Thank you for the information.

Scott,

That is interesting. Our LMS is connected to YouTube. YouTube is very diligent about copyright. What was the reason with not using the videos? I am interested in this!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I teach many intro level classes so many of my students are just getting used to the online forum and there’s a learning curve the first week or so. I think it’s important to share examples and show them what works best as well as discuss what is expected for our class.

Helena,

I agree with you. That is a great strategy. You are also setting the tone for how they interact in other online courses. (No pressure on you :))

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

As an online professor I would successfully facilitate courses by utilizing YouTube.com as supplemental material to support unit concepts for the each week. Additionally, I would locate free online corporate webinars covering concepts in class to link real world experience into the learning mix.

Andrea,

How would you use it? Would you have your students record? They could do it, must of them have video on their phones. . . .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Wow - I never thought about the cultural norms and the audio versus video option. That is a good idea to keep in mind in the future!
Tina

At the start of each class, we should always assume that each student might have a different level of confidence and knowledge with technology.

Therefore, in to ensure that everyone starts with the same base, I would create a step by step guide that will provide some hands on activity for the student to practice the use of the technology. I would share the document ahead of time for them to practice before class and go over it again in the first session to potentially answer any question.

Robert,

You know, this may be the time that students who are more familiar take the lead in the class. Or pair students with other students to help with the transition to the technology. It works in online too!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

As an instructor I would evalute the media hosting and sharing sites by researching what has been effective for other instructors historically and been proven through success.

Julie,

Great idea! Why reinvent the wheel. Also see what is suggested by the publishers. They now have great material that you can access. . . for free!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment