Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ultimatley it means that we have the capability of connecting with almost anyone as a small number of relationships can serve as the basis of connecting to whom ever we want. Facebook is a great example in the way it measures the number of friends you have in common with someone else and it recommends friends to you based on the friends you already have. When I think of this it is true, I know the mayor, the mayor knows the senator, the senator knows the President of the United States. So through just 2 connections I could be introduced to the Chief Executive of the US.

Joseph,
Do you particpate on blogs?

The best way to let students know the risks of facebook is to tell them stories of people that have had problems as a result of Facebook.

I'm assuming you're looking for critical thinking on this rather than rote knowledge. That said, I'm not sure of the usefulness (aside from parties about Kevin Bacon) and empirical verification of the theory.

I'm sure I could construct purpose using a bit of finesse, but I'm curious to your purpose in asking the question Dr. Wilkinson. Where do you see this coming into play?

Best,
Earl Barnett

Michael,

True, how would you explain this to students who may not understand the importance of professionalism and their right to say what they want?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Michael,

That is true. My daughter met a lobbyist through my husband. She now has a connection for interaction of people in Washington D.C. This lobbyist also knows the importance of social media.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Michael,

I would have them do some research regarding this very issue. Some of the stories are truly frightening.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Earl,

I find that many of my alumni and business people particularly the under 40 set are using social media for their primary networking. They communicate research through blogs, they communicate in the office through microblogging and texting, they network outside of the office through media such as LinkedIn. Our students are getting their interviews and their internships through social media. I actually have a coupe of students that have a company that uses social media entrepreneurially.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

It means that although you may not personally know a person you are talking too they maybe friends or know someone that knows you well. I enjoy FB and I Host a few business sites. One for my husband the other for our villa. So I'm constantly on FB. It's interesting the things you see from behind the scene; people you you may know in the past may also be friends of current friends and they may or may not even realize it. I'm always cautious when I'm asked to be friends, and even more so when a past student ask to be friend, which I tend not to do.
As a professional online instruct I am mindful of the discussions I enter.

Gemma ,

You are right, I actually use Facebook often. I actually find much of my course material in facebook as well as connect with other people. I also find LinkedIn more valuable than I used to. We make all of our freshmen create a Linkedin account.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The concept of six degrees of separation is an example of how the internet has made our world smaller. Social media outlets now allow personal content to move across the globe at the same pace as world news, and to allow anyone with access to the web an instant presence that is easily searchable. Our ability to make connections is not only greater, but infinitely faster as a result.

Christopher,

True, and students really need to be aware of how "close people are in social media.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I was just talking about this concept with some friends of mine. It is the idea that we are all connected through social media and that the connection is not very far off. The theory suggests that everyone on this thread is connected in less than six levels. So I have friends, who have friends, who have friends, that are friends with you.

It is a really interesting thought. It makes the world seem so much smaller.

It means that in a "perfect" world, we could potentially meet any person on the planet with the help of six people who each are linked to one another if we ask and they opt to do an introduction.

There is an interesting youtube (Ted talk) I typically show the students on day one of my interpersonal communications classes. It is titled, YOUR ON-LINE LIFE; PERMANENT AS A TATOO and it makes the point that what you post is there permanently so you best be careful what you write. Search on Google and you should find it.

It means that in a "perfect" world, we could potentially meet any person on the planet with the help of six people who each are linked to one another if we ask and they opt to do an introduction.

Francis ,

The world is smaller. I actually look at friends I have and the common friends we both have and think how do they know each other. With this power comes responsibility. . . .
Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Karen,

That is true, although I don't think I want that many "friends" It really should make students think about how much of their work is available to everyone.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Karen,

I am going to use it!!!!! I love the title. This is such an important lesson. I actually heard of companies that work like the credit bureaus that will compile information on employees that goes back for seven years.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Brings a wide variety of view points into the student's hands in a very short time. Once I share something on a social network it is very possible that friends of friends of friends could get involved in the discussion and help the learner understand the concept better or even provide a different view point. We all love bringing guests into our face-to-face classrooms well the social networking allows us to do this without anyone traveling, but electronically.

-Chris

Sign In to comment