Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Establish a relationship which meets the students needs.

On line courses takes dedication and self direction, many people engage in an online course with little to know realistic outcomes.  We all need to make sure that we support the young and the seniors who are now enrolled with the learning process.  What we take for granted in everyday online courses may not be the "norm" for our students.  Support and non judgemental processes as well as patiences with the student is crucial to their success.

I teach an online class and I find that my students who learned English as a second language have the most difficulty. I try to establish a realationship with these tudents who i can tell feel like outsiders with their lack of eenglish skills.

Kathy

Hi Cyndy,

I think you make a great point that as instructors we need to be non judgemental, and supportive, especially I have found with struggling students.  I have found when I have reached out to these students by phone in for example, week 1, and can share some of the struggles I personally experienced as an online student, they feel more comfortable and confindent. They will also reach out with questions or concerns because of my genuine interest in their success that I have expressed.

Hi Cyndy,

Because students are not required to attend live classrooms, it can be a challenge in reaching a student to establish an online relationship.  Even when emails, text messages and phone calls are made, students do not respond. If the live classroom/labwas required, it would be a great opportunity to connect with students.

Thanks,

Letitia

Unreturned emails and text messages?  This sounds like either a technical issue in communication, or a statement of how committed the student is to the program.  Some things are more important than successfully completing a program, and the student is free to make that decision and accept the consequence.

Reply to kathy webb's post:I too believe that we as instructors need to refrain from projecting judgement upon our students. In many of my online classes, I have students that frequently come up with many excuses. These excuses range from weekly trips to the hospital to computer glithces. I have found that my belief in thier excuse is not the issue. The challenge is to make the student find a way to complete the assignment and submit it in a timely manner. It is a never ending journey. 

Sign In to comment