Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online Course Interaction

My experience has indicated the importance of the discussion threads within the online format.

As a rule, I reply to every student within a given course at least once per week. The level and complexity of interaction is vital, but ensuring all students are recognized for their individual contributions is key to retention.

Lisa

I agree that the discussion postings can be a great way to encourage participation among the students. This also helps you determine if students understand the material. But more importantly it shows the student that you think what they are saying is important when you respond back.

Thanks for your comments Lisa!

One thing I do is ask question to further the discussion; in this case the interest of the student remains high.

Lisa

As an online instructor for less than two terms, I was suprised to find that I had so much interaction with my students from the beginning. The discussions help me to get to know my students on a more personal basis than I had at first thought possible. I was suprised also that I interact with every student about once a week without making an effort to do so.

Rebecca

Terrific! Asking follow up questions in a discussion is a great way to engage your students.

I also believe that the instructor should reply to each student in the discussion forum. The instructor can use the forum to keep students engaged in the topic. I also like to post examples, other materials, and web links in the discussion. I have found that providing additional resources help students expound on the subject matter.

Lakithia Hogens

As an IT instructor I am not a fan of the discussion board forums in my courses. The questions tend to be close ended and don’t lend themselves to a true discussion. Also.. with 35 students it’s very difficult to reply to each and every post. I do read the posts and when I see the subject is off course, I ask questions to steer it back.

I agree with you Lakithia. I reply to every student's discussion forum every week. Sometimes it is with a follow up question, other times it is to make a comment about their discussion. It is just one way to engage the online learner.

Many respondents have said that they use the discussion board to engage the students. What do you do to engage your learners if you don't like to rely on the discussion board forums?

As a new instructor to the online environment, I am still stuggeling with this.

I believe that all of the forums for communication with students should be “maxed out.” I especially like posting announcements twice daily that become part of the classroom “wall.” The announcements deal with course content, rules, policies and procedures, professional development material and relevant news items particularly that related to the “subject matter.” Next comes the chats. I have two hour sessions per week and cover about 30 minutes of course material via a multimedia presentation and allow the students to discuss issues and material for about 20-25 minutes. (I allow 5-10 minutes for wrap-up and closure.) The attendance varies depending upon who has issues with course material that they would like to discuss, but there are also the stalwart regulars. I also have an hour online reserved for private chats (via Instant Messaging) where I also have a dialogue with students on issues pertaining to succeeding in the course. I, too, respond to every student on the Discussion Board, and believe that is where we make our money using that forum of contact and instruction. Students feel involved (directly) with the teacher and the other students. I create two forums for voluntary participation as well which I check daily. One is “Meet and Greet” where students post something about themselves and respond to other students short “bios.” It is a form of introduction and allows them to catch up with old acquaintances. The other forum is the lounge, or what I call the “Coffee Shoppe” where students can post questions, concerns, information and what have you for me and for the other students. I do emphasize e-mail contact which I answer immediately and post several direct phone numbers where I can be reached to discuss and resolve assignment or other issues.

The one thing that I have noticed over the years is that whether it is on-line or traditional, there needs to be student/instructor interaction.
Most students when they first take an on-line course they think "All I need to do is the assignments and move on". There is so much more that needs to be put into it, instructors need to push the students to think a little and be more responsive.

Thank you very much for your detailed postings George. You have obviously put a great deal of time and work into teaching online and I appreciate your willingness to share your ideas with the class.

I teach science and math. I have similar concerns about the discussion boards providing soft learning targets, but I do see the value in the student-to-student interactions. These do encourage students to understand the approaches or logic used by others, resulting in a better overall knowledge of the subject. I also monitor the posts and steer the discussion where necessary. And, questions can be very useful in provoking deeper student thought on a specific topic.

You are absolutely correct Natalie. Regardless of the type of instruction that is happening, student and instructor interaction is critical. Thanks for responding.

I agree with Lisa. I feel that in an on-line environment that developing a strong rapport with students is necessary and that they feel that they are engaged with an instructor versus a faceless person. I make it point a point to reply quickly to questions and address each student personally.

Jack
Jack Huddleston, PhD

Can you tell me what you mean by "soft learning targets" Rodney?

In a math problem, there is only one correct answer. These answers are what I sometimes refer to as "hard learning targets". As we introduce discussion questions, we begin to allow students to discuss opinions supported by critical thinking processes. These types of answers are often not right or wrong, but just the result of a different analysis of the data and information that we have available.

You are right Jack--it is very important to answer student questions quickly. Being available to answer questions and address any concerns students might have will help ease their anxieties. Thanks for your response.

Critically thinking is an important skill that we teach our students and I agree that the discussion forum is a great way to help our students develop those skills.

Sign In to comment