Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hello George,
I agree with you wholeheartedly that communicating throught every possible means and as frequently as possible is key to retention and success. I have used the methods you describe (although I have only one additional DB forum instead of the two you mention. I don't know the courses you teach but do you allow students to discuss the assignments themselves in the "Lounge" or is it restricted to concepts and examples? If the latter is the case how is it ensured that the assignment isn't discussed?

I also liked your "Wall" of announcements-do you see evidence of students visiting it frequently as a consequence? I tried using pithy quotes and even a "Smile a day" but must confess that the time commitment made it difficult to keep up.
Rathin

Hello Jack,
I agree with you that quick responses make the student feel that you are "watching out" for them and they can depend on you.
I sometimes get messages from students who have just received an unexpected grade and are somewhat irate. I find it always helps to start off by saying (and meaning it!): "Thank you for taking the time to write about your concern..." It transsforms the dialogue.
What has your experience been in such cases?
Rathin

Yes, I also find that thanking a student for bringing the concern to my attention helps. I usually close with that thought, but I will try opening with it. I can see where that approach might be even more effective.

Hi Michele: I teach writing courses and literature courses. The literature courses generate more in-depth discussions simply because they are critical thinking courses in nature. In my writing courses, the discussion forums are also essential, but I see what Rodney means when a course is not critical thinking in nature or when only one answer is correct. While the discussion forums are essential in every course, critical thinking courses simply lend themselves more readily to a successful and interesting discussion.

I agree, Natalie. Interaction and communication is the key to success in an online course. In addition to the discussion forums, almost all of my classes require group work as well. I have been using peer review groups for composition courses and small group projects in higher level courses. Group projects are yet another way students stay engaged in the course.

Certainly this is the ideal-to Respondent to each and every student however, there are several factors that seemingly get in the way of responding to each and every student in any given week. I have noticed that many of my students wait to the last minute to submit their discussion boards. For those reasons, I do not have time to respond to their submissions. Instead, I have been resourceful in creating general commentaries on the discussion board to stimulate student thought. If students wish to respond to those discussion questions, they can. In addition, it levels the playing field. I wish my students would take the time to respond earlier, but unfortunately, that's not always the case. If the student does respond earlier in the week and I do have time to respond, and make every effort to provide the individualized attention.

It is not just critical thinking skills that we are trying to develop in the discussions. It is also the ability to present your ideas in a written format so that everyone understands what you are trying to argue. I agree that some classes are more conducive to demonstrating those critical thinking skills.

Thanks Paul.

While I certainly agree that replying individually to each student at least once a week is ideal, I don't think it's always practical.

One way that I've found to deal with this is to group responses into similar categories and then respond to them all at once. For example, I might write "John, Suzy, and Jim: I see that you all discussed the value of using correct grammar in workplace writing. Is there any writing situation in which grammar isn't important?"

By using all of their names but grouping their answers into one category, I can add a level of personalization that takes a little less time than answering each post.

Great suggestion Margo.

I like to ask questions also. I also like to play devil's advocate and challenge the student's responses. I find it makes them think more.

Lisa,
I commend you on your approach to responding to other learners. However, how is your approach possible when you have 3 courserooms with 32 students in each class? Trying to respond with substansive and formative feedback would be difficult.
TD

George,
I practice much of what is stated here. I like your approach. You seem to have a well organized and fun class.
TD

I think it is absolutely essential for instructors to be actively engaged in the course. Students also follow the lead of the instructor. If the instructor is actively engaged more of the students will be also. I try to respond to the initial posts of students within 24 hours. I believe this shows personalization, that their goals are important to the instructor and the instructor is actively engaged in the course.

I have to agree with you. When you respond to each individual student, you do recognize that their comments are important to the course. This encourages them to participate in future discussion threads. I have found this to be true in my online experience. The comments from students were extremely positive toward myself and the course as a result.

I think responding to students posts within 24 hours is a great goal. Thanks for sharing it with us Wendy.

Taking the time to respond to each students post is a great way to engage the students and to let them know that you are "listening" to what they have to say. Thanks for the response Gary.

When I taught my first online course, I was also surprised at the level of interaction on the discussion form--particularly student-to-student. Having taught in the traditional classroom for some time, I often found it difficult to get a discussion going in the classroom setting. I'm not sure what it is about the online environment, but the relevancy of the discussion really impressed me.

Joan

I think one of the things that encourages participation (other than a requirement to respond to a certain number of posts) is that online provides anonymity for those that are uncomfortable speaking out in class. In addition, students can be sure of their response before hitting the send button instead of taking a risk speaking out in the class.

Thanks for your post Joan.

Even though the discussion board is an asynchronous form of communication, when managed properly by the instructor, it can truly become the "heartbeat" of the course.

The classroom discussion board serves many vital roles in an online environment:

1) The first benefit of the classroom discussion board is that by virtue of the fact that it is asynchronous, students can post any time of the day and night, regardless of the Time zone they are in.

2) Another major benefit is the fact that the instructor can use the discussion board to reach out to every student individually.

3) Perhaps the most important benefit of the classroom discussion board is the fact that it allows the class to have a rolling discussion...and at the same time, allows each student to ask probing questions of the entire class.

Mike Crowley

Even though the discussion board is an asynchronous form of communication, when managed properly by the instructor, it can truly become the "heartbeat" of the course.

The classroom discussion board serves many vital roles in an online environment:

1) The first benefit of the classroom discussion board is that by virtue of the fact that it is asynchronous, students can post any time of the day and night, regardless of the Time zone they are in.

2) Another major benefit is the fact that the instructor can use the discussion board to reach out to every student individually.

3) Perhaps the most important benefit of the classroom discussion board is the fact that it allows the class to have a rolling discussion...and at the same time, allows each student to ask probing questions of the entire class.

Mike Crowley

Sign In to comment