Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Teaching Online Course

When teaching your own online course, what do you believe are the three most important things to consider?

I think the three main things to consider are the following:

- what the students currently know
- what the course objectives are
- what the delivery format is

Robert,

Yes, we have to figure out where the students are coming from, what we are going to teach them and how best to deliver the content. Nice job.

1. Who is your student? Know your audience so you can scaffold.
2. What do they need to know? Focus on objectives.
3. How long do you have? Knowing what pace to set is key.

Sarah,

Right on. We have to help the students succeed and move their learning to a higher level. Thanks for sharing.

When teaching my own online course, the three most important things that I will consider are:
1) What are the academic backgrounds of my audience? In order words, do they have the prerequisite knowledge to understand and learn from the course being considered?
2) What is the relevant information that they need to learn?
3) How can I deliver the information so that regardless of their background, they can benefit from the information being presented in the course?

Augustine,

Right on. Get to know your audience - your students. When we understand where they are coming from, we understand better how to deliver the content appropriately.

Nice job.

I believe that the three main things to consider when teaching an online course are: 1) what the students should know; 2) what the students want to know; 3) the best method to teach these things.

Matthew,

Your focus is in the right place - on the students. When they understand the expectations and you deliver the content appropriately, they can better reach the set goals. Nice job.

Three things to consider:

Who is your student?
What do they need to learn?
How to present the information.

Kelly,

Good questions. We have to consider our audience - our students - and figure out the best way to provide content to them. Thanks.

Who the student is.
What you want them to learn
How are they going to learn

Aubrie,

Yes. It's good to think about the student, where they're coming from, and where you want them to go. These are all important when designing online courses.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

That the lecture covers the material but is not so long that you lose the students interest.

How well your students absorb information.

That the students have the proper materials such as a computer and proper access.

1. the background of the students (do they have experience with this subject?)
2. the learning styles (can be gathered by emails, grades, etc).
3. method of delivery of information

Jennifer,

Yes, chinking the information and keeping the lectures short (10-15 minutes) is essential. The ks for your input.

Barbara,

Nice list. These are all important and may make others think about new things. Thanks for your input.

Knowledge of the subject your teaching being one. You have to know what your teaching to the very detail. This will make you confident and ready to give useful knowledge. Second would be interaction and support. Use forums, email and chat to communicate with your students. Let them know that your there for them. Lastly, extra resources. It's not a bad idea to direct your students to sites with more information about the subject. This will help in keeping your students engaged.

Emory,

We have to know our subject and help the students reach the learning outcomes as best we can. Communication is key!

Thanks.

I believe the three most important things to consider when teaching my own online course are: 1) a dynamic syllabus; 2) communication and collaboration; and 3) developing a good strategy to use all available technology.
The syllabus supports communication and expectations among the community of learners. Use of all available channels will support good communication among the senders and receivers. Communication online is essential and feedback from the instructor will play a key role as “the tour guide” along the path of learning. Technology use of all available assets that support the course modules will require development of a strategy that also will have to be evaluated.

Sign In to comment