Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

1. Not every student is as motivated or has the flexibilty to be on every day. In light of this I have to be flexible as well and make sure any information is easily accessible.

2. Familiarity with technology can differ student to student. Therefore I need to make sure all directions and/or walkthroughs are clear and concise with lots of detail and pictures.

3. I have to stay engaged with communication or else the student will feel as if I am disinterested.

Jerrod,

Being clear and concise if very helpful in many situations. They will also help engage the students. Thanks!

1. Being available to students for questions and guidance
2. Understand each student's learning style
3. Effective follow up and feedback

Engelbert,

Right on! You hit on three important components that we all need to focus on. Thanks!

The three most important things are:
1. Quality of feedback and communications
2. Flexibility in approach
3. organization

In the classroom the most important things are how we interact with our students through feedback, announcements, phone calls, emails, and in the discussion forums. Instructors should be encouraging, enthusiastic, and approachable. Next, we must always consider the different learning styles of our students and have different ways to approach the learning the goals that will work for a variety of learning styles. Last but not least, classroom management still applies online and meeting deadline, organizing announcements and being in control of the flow of information keeps the class running smoothly.

Tanya,

Great information. Thanks for including the specifics about instructors and their actions. This is important to think about.

Thanks!

1) Introduction of the content-does the content match learning objectives of the course and presented in ways that mesh with the learning styles of the students?
2)The knowledge base and learning needs of the students.
3)What tools are available for me through the LMS for presenting content?

Mona,

Good list, Mona. Thanks for your input. I like that you added to look at the LMS tools.

Nice job.

The three most important considerations in online instruction are as follows;
1. Syllabus: A dynamic syllabus helps create the foundation for the online course. It provides the basic information needed by the student to successfully complete the course. An instructor bibliography links the instructor as a learning resources and partner.
2. Create an Online Learning Community: Use a variety of technology and tools for students to develop a sense of belonging to the community. This community will learn and evolve together throughout the course.
3. Scaffolding Student Learning: Use personal work experiences to build knowledge and skills in the classroom.
Will the students become active learners in the classroom?

Dr. James F. De Bouno Jr., ND, PhD
Adjunct Instructor - Environmental Science

The three most important things to consider are What do we want the students to learn? How do they learn best based on their particular learning style? And is the material Scaffold properly making the information easier to absorb?

James,

Thanks for this input. They relate directly to the course content, students and developing community. All great things to consider.

Kyle,

I always love it when participants in this forum list things like this in question format. It does make you think about what questions we should all be asking. Thanks!

-Does the course design provide for adequate engagement?
-What are the students expected to know before they take this course?
-Does the course have clear expectations for what is expected from students and what they can expect to learn?

When teaching an online course, the three things I believe are most important include the syllabus, communication and course content. The syllabus serves as a guide to help students understand the goals, objectives and expectations of the course. Communication is critical as it helps ensure students can get the needed support for questions and concerns. Finally the course content is important to ensure the students are gaining the appropriate knowledge for the degree that is being obtained.

Ron,

Engagement, expectations and objectives are all key components. Thanks for your input.

I have learned that clearly communicating expectations upfront, timely responses to student emails, and robust feedback on assignments matter and make a difference for students.

Karen,

I couldn't agree more. These are all important components and help the students understand the course expectations.

Thanks!

Omari,

Right on! Upfront and proactive communication is the best.

Thanks for your input.

The three items I believe are the same as the last three I wrote for writing a course.

1. What do I need the students to learn?

2. Will all students be able to learn this from the teaching I am doing?

3. Will this course cater to all styles of learning?

Matthew,

You bring up similar points to others in this forum. Must be important concepts. ;-)

Sign In to comment