Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

When teaching your online course, you must consider:

1) your students
2) your objectives
3) you timeline of deliverence

The quality of education comes from faculty knowledge and background therefore I consider hiring only well qualified instructors to teach my program.

Pam,

Nice job. Your objectives are definitely the center of all of these things. Thanks.

ATUL,

Experience many times helps lead to good instruction along with best practices and good pedagogy. Thanks.

Be to provide multiple methods of learning the materials needed for the learning outcomes, providing feedback of student assessments and reviewing each student's input into the course to identify those who may be having problems understanding the information. Communication between every member of the class and the instructor is key to understanding the learning environment and making adjustments as needed.

An instructor certainly must know the topics for the course yet I have found that many of the experts lack the ability to present that knowledge and experience in a way that students can learn from. Many professors that I have worked with at major universities were great researchers but could not explain to anyone else how to do it in a way that was successful. In the reverse I have seen professors that were excellent facilitators and could teach a course they were not an expert in simply because they could develop their own expertise on the subjects as they went along and could provide an excellent learning environment.

Individual student needs is important. Each student will learn in different ways and at different speeds. Ignoring this concept will result in losing many students who otherwise could succeed.

Providing a supportive environment for students; effective learning tools and presentations; connecting with individual students and addressing respective learning styles

William,

I agree. Multiple methods can help all students be active in the course and move forward in their learning. Thanks!

Karen ,

Thanks for the list. You bring up some good points. We do have to be supportive and connect with students to help them achieve the learning objectives. Thanks!

William,

Yes, we all learn differently and we all, as students, should expect instructors to help us move forward in our learning in a supportive environment. Thanks for your input.

William,

Yes, knowing the content is essential, but being able to transmit that content to the students in a variety of ways is excellent teaching. Thanks!

I believe active communication and participation with students as well as instructor to ensure that we are all learning with each other.

It's important to consider your teaching presence; your timeliness in grading/feedback; your availability and communication responsiveness to students.

Students need to know that there is an 'authority' figure in the course willing to provide helpful insight, navigation tips, and additional knowledge when needed.

:-) Ruby

The three most important things to consider when teaching are:

What are the learning styles of students?

The contents are being delivered in formats that make sense to the students?

Students are really learning?

Terri,

We should be active in many ways with students, but communication is essential. Thanks!

Dr. Ruby,

Right - teaching presence, feedback, communication, etc. are all important components. Thanks!

Camila,

I like that you asked these in question format. It provides a way for others to begin to think about the questions they should be asking as well.

The three most important things to consider when teaching an online course is:
1.) Understanding the learning styles of your students.
2.) Use effective scaffolding tools.
3.) Make your presence known!

I consider the three most important things to be communication, clear expectations, and clear instruction. By giving clear instructions in both written and verbal form, students know what to expect from the course (and what is expected of them). Clear instructions via live chat, email, and additional course supplements make it easier for them to reach course goals. Open communication allows those with questions or concerns to come forward and work toward resolution.

Sign In to comment