Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

You Tube Movie Channel

I support my students learning experience with media such as recorded replies to my students which I then upload to a special You Tube movie Channel that I created specifically for this reason.

Jim,

That is a great tool and great strategy to enhance learning. It is also a great way to manage your own workload.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dr. Karina,

That is a great strategy. You don't have your Youtube "stuff" standing alone, it is incorporated in the learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I also use YouTube in F2F and online. I incorporate the presentations in with the lecture material so the students can actually visualize what is being lectured on. It is especially useful with medical classes where you are discussing body systems, functions and pathophysiology. Some students need a visual aspect other than words to be able to relate the material to the body structure.

I also use Documentary-log.com for documentaries that apply to lecture material because it gives real life examples and how it will apply to their learning experience.

Andrea,

I like your strategies. It is important to use multimedia as a way to deepen the learning experience in both f2f and online. It allows students to spend more time in the content; anywhere, anytime. I will look at the documentary-log.com. Thank you for sharing.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Personally, I love documentaries, and these days, they are legion. One can find documentaries on almost any topic. Because I teach economics and project management, YouTube.com videos have proven to be very helpful. I recommend documentaries to fellow faculty and students.

Donald,

These are such great tools for both subjects. It also decreases our workload as we don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

You Tube is a GREAT way to supplement the learning and as previously stated, can take the work of the online instructor. If the video supports the learning, why not incorporate it. We use on ground as well. One of the best ways to learn something is to see it visually and this can add that extra element to build upon a concept introduced and reinforce the learning!

Linda,

You are right, it provides such richness to any course. It also helps an instructor workload; why reinvent the wheel!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Some students learn by hearing and the you tube video is appropriate for both visual and auditory learners.

Austin,

True,do you have students create their own learning videos?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

This made me think of Ted.com which is where I send a lot of my students. Any time they can get away from just reading, I encourage them to be visual learn eras.

Lisa,

I love this idea! I also use Grammar Girl and Youtube as a way to look at different visual options. Students love it. Ted.com is such a great resource. I enjoy listening to them. Podcasts are instructors secret weapon in learning!!!!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Linda,
I have started using this for different types of students, especially when they become discouraged. I will send one on Motivation.
Amanda PAennington

YouTube.com is a great tools for many subjects. I also like the accessibility of the information to the audience. It made teacher's job easier.

Gwo-Fang,

Agreed, you don't have to reinvent the wheel when it comes to certain learning objects. I do find some students don't have the ability to watch them and that is a problem.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Linda love that...for motivation...am going to do that. I love videos and use You Tube occasionally and now encouraged after this course to look at other methods. Love popular suggestions of methods?

Maureen

Maureen,

I too have started using videos more. I have started using to teach me how to use a software. The video tutorial was great! I am going to have my students create a video in my online course and post it to the course to explain a concept. We will see how that goes. . . .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment