Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Virtual Environment Technology Tools

When using technology tools in a virtual learning environment, what do you believe are the three most important things to consider?

The first consideration I have is what technology works with my teaching style. Specifically, I consider which technology will work with the lesson for that day. For example, I often PowerPoint online when reviewing items in the text. However, I do not use voice overs – I speak live when discussing the slides to enable a better response to student questions.
My second consideration is how the technology will enhance student learning. Providing links to other websites to supplement the discussion is one example. Another is to move from watching screens to generating responses in polls or whiteboards. I will use some other media in an occasional lecture to provide a different perspective and prevent boredom. This is an area where a pre-recorded video can be used. Even if it is the instructor, mixing a video with lecture can provide increased interest.
A third consideration is the ability of the technology to support my actions. I have had situations where I wanted to incorporate another teaching method into the online classroom. However, the school platform was unable to accommodate my method. Therefore, I have had to alter my lesson plans due to the issues with technology.

Louise,

Good post. It is interesting how you use whiteboards and live explanation with Powepoint. The tools have to work with LMS.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Being user friendly for students. Being relevant to the course topic. Instructor should be have a thorough understanding of said technology tools.

Penelope,

You are right on all three accounts. It has to be student and instructor friendly.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Greetings!

This is a good question. Technology should be used to enhance the course material and/or topic(s). I also believe that technology should be developed from the student/instructor perspectives. In other words, the technology should be user-friendly.

Best, Eric Freeman

I feel the 3 most important things to consider is whether or not it is user friendly for the student as well as the instructor, whether or not it can help achieve the required outcome, and does it enhance communication and interactivity between the instructor and the student.
My favorite tool that I use is the Webex live meeting and teleconferences. Once my students attend the first one they enjoy it so much that they tell their classmates. Before I know it my whole class is attending at the same time. I think I can speak for my students and myself to say that they feel more connected with me and the lines of communication open right up.

I believe tools need to work the same for every participant. Each user has differing levels of expertise. Many of my students are later life learners who have not used many of the tools that younger learners seem to grasp quickly. This seems to cause great frustration. I believe a tool should be transparent (meaning that learning the tool should be simple and not take away from learning the topic). I also believe technology should be used only if it enhances the learning experience.

Christine,

I agree with you on your points. You are right, you can show students how to communicate EFFECTIVELY in an online environment using tools efficiently. Good post!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

John,

What you say is very true, but technology does help us do what we need to do at a distance. I find that avoidance becomes my biggest barrier; the idea that students just want to do what they have always done. This can be their biggest barrier.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think three of the most important things to consider would be:

1. That a technology tool is relatively easy for students that may be unfamiliar with it to learn to use. Of course this is going to depend on help from the instructor when needed and setting up a wiki or similar tool for students to share knowledge but when selecting tools I think some will be more intuitive than others so it is important to look for that quality.

2. I have found it helpful to make sure that a tool is engaging - it is relevant enough to the class and also reflects student interests enough that there is both a reason to want to use it and to need to use it.

3. It is also important to make sure that the tool supports outcomes in the class - for example in a beginning class helping to expose students to common technologies they may not have used or giving students that are studying instruction an opportunity to use tools they might use on the job.

-Sarah

The three most important things to consider are:

1. Easy to learn for both students and instructor.
2. Reliable and fast.
3. Able to work with different operating systems/browsers.

-Darakshan

When using technology tools in a virtual learning environment, I believe that the three important factors to be considered are:

1. The methods used by the instructor in providing information to students.
2. The communications tools embedded with the online course
3.course syllabus

I believe that the methods used by the instructor in providing information to students are very important for me as an instructor to develop a pattern over time and to include several components to satisfy the working of a well - developed online course.
The communications tools embedded with the online course are also very important and are essential part for me to guide students throughout the duration of the course.
Other factor is a well - developed course syllabus should clearly describe the role the online environment will play through the course.

I believe you have to match the appropriate tools with the function and you have to use the technology to facilitate the teaching and to make the learning experience more effective.

Thank you,
Dwayne Roark

Louise,

I liked your post because it really took into account how the tools impact the student experience. We have to remember that students are ultimately our customers and we have to find ways to provide a more effective and valuable experience. These tools can enhance that experience and make the customer happy.

Thank you,
Dwayne Roark

Sarah,

You are right! You don't want the technology to be the focus and/or a barrier to learning. Great post.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Darakshan,

Great post! You are right on all points. You don't want technology to be a barrier.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Raouf ,

You make such great points in your post. You make a great connection to the technology and they syllabus. I think this cannot be overstated.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dwayne,

You are correct, you have to make sure the tool is match with the task. You don't want the tool to become a barrier for learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dwayne,

I do think we have to be careful in thinking about students as customers. They are also our product! I like to think of students as clients and educators as consultants. This relationship works when both entities are working to improve the student.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment