Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Fundamentals of Asynchronous Labs | Origin: EL116

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

The Asynchronous, Self-Directed Learning Model --> Fundamentals of Asynchronous Labs

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

It is important to recognize that labs are possible in an asynchronous learning environment. Whether the instructor wants to conduct labs from a "live" perspective or wants to utilize other educational sites with similar labs conducted by others, labs are possible in an asynchronous environment and can prove to be a valuable learning tool. This is important to remember so that we do not shy away from self-directed learning by believing it is impossible in lab settings. 

Virtual labs are possible, but free websites are not always up and running from year to year.  The website could be blocked by your district.  Purchasing virtual labs is a conversation worth having with your district.

There are many free online virtual resources available. Having lab kits would be helpful. 

using free websites for lab practicing might be frustration in cases the websitr stops servicrs

Find simulations for a computer science class may be challenging. One of the ways that I can utilize labs and simulations for my CS classes is to have my students practice algorithms. Finding case that is where they can build apps to solve real-world problems can also be another area off promise.

I learned how important is to use resources probided by the publishers to include virtual lab and simulation into the online course.

Resources, and clear visuals , help the on ine labs. So important!

Thought this was cool: Missouri of Science and Technology enables its students to build their own microscopes for approximately $10 with the use of a smartphone.

Asynchronous labs offer the advantage of 24/7 access to the students. It is study anytime and anywhere. There are several tools to assist learning such as MERLOT, and SERC. Instructors do not need to feel intimidated when creating a course because there are numerous tools to assist in with the content and process. Instructor, with time, can create a collection of reusable learning objects. It is important to connect theory with the real life experiences. Instructors are responsible for helping students comply with academic deliverables.

Labs can be engaging and just as informative with hands on experience at home as they can be in person. Online learning gives students access to resources they might not have otherwise. 

There are many free resources available for creating an asynchronous lab environment for students. It is important to be creative and diligent in your search for viable replacements to real life lab activities. 

At our present point of eveloution from all campus based learning to online learning we are sort of a work in progress. We are a hands on technical institiue and as such the students must come on campus for mechnical/technical skills based labs. As with some of the lesson mentioned it would not be fesible to expect each student to have access to the same exact traing equipment in order to fairly evaluate each student.

Taking a lab class all online, i could see how challenging and time consuming it may be. It takes a dedicated instrucrtor who is proactive and passionate about the course information to dedicate time to enhancing their coure. 

It is difficult to recreate a F2F lab environment inside of an asynchronous course, but it is definitely possible. There many resources out there, with some, mentioned and shared inside of the reading material. 

This module provided some resources to create simluated lab opportunies through the use of RLOs.  It is clear that creating an asynchronous lab opportunity would require an investment in time and resources to provide appropriate content and tools that meet the  needs of students.  We have discovered a case simulation website for our program that provides the best opportunity for simulated lab opportunities that incorporates real-life scenarios for a nominal semester fee, but it does require that we budget for this expense each year.

By use of the growing resources that facilitate labs in asynchronous courses, courses can offer more practical hands-on learning than previous, old-school asynchronous courses were able. The ideas do not just apply to stem related course but can be adapted to other courses.

Providing lab kits, virtual labs, simulations, and videos,  are some of the many ways to make an asynchronous online lab class as rich and engaging as possible.

Asynchronous labs are some of the more difficult concepts that I have had to get around. I was so used to being with them and answering a question as it arose. Also, when I am looking at the same question from a bunch of different people, I find it is easier to answer everyone in an announcement or FAQ type of situation.

Asynchronous materials must be specially selected and sometimes modfied to be suitable for asynchronous courses. Instructors may collect and odify their own materials, or they may make use of Re-usable Learning Objects (RLOs) for static content. RLOs can be obtained at sites suh as MERLOT. Pre-made lab kits and simulations may also be available for common and static content. Pre-packaged manuals and experiments can help with labs and academic deliverables. Knowing a wider range fo resources for obtaining materials will save me from having to re-invent the wheel each time and increases the options for creating valid and engaging interaction.

Sign In to comment