Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Augmented Reality | Origin: EL118

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Using Various “Realities” in Online Courses -->  Augmented Reality

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Augmented reality is seen almost everywhere now in the telelvision and entertainment industry. Since my course is visually based, I would like to apply augmented reality to my student's newscasts in some capacity. This is great technology that I can see my students really get involved with their practicum requirements. 

The AR approach focuses on practical learning rather than cognitive learning and it is typically recommmended to present the concepts before its use. Best practices for using ar include focusing on emotional inter- and intrapersonal interaction and spatial intelligence; working the experience in line with the objectives; incorporating realistic imagery and situations; and incorporating user-based interactivity. It is currently used mostly in gaming and entertainment, along with retail and navigation applications.  It still seems a very expensive and development-intensive platform, considering many of its advantages can be achieved through the use of images and videos in a branched scenario that are viewed on a screen.

AR is widespread and can be utilized through a variety of methods.

I think AR could be useful in my classroom as students work with prototypes.

AR can be used effectively to enhance learning and stimulate students engagement and recall/retention of the material. Education must remain focused on objectives to meet accreditor requirements and provide standardization.  Within the framework, if AR is utilized effectively, it will enhance learning, improve problem solving and promote critical thinking all in a controlled environment that allows for risk free student mistakes.  In nursing education when patient lives are at risk, allowing students to practice in AR builds confidence and competencies before practicing in the live medical environment.

I think a good use of AR technology in our aviation maintenance program would be the opportunity for students to make mistakes and see the results of those without damaging expensive equipment or placing anyone in danger.  It is often said we learn more from our mistakes than we do from our successes and this technology provides learners with a great opportunity. I can also see it very useful in the medical field specifically at our school for nurses.  Given that clinicals have been cut back due to the pandemic, more simulations and AR are needed at this time.

I believe that AR is a great way and can be incorporated in every subject to help students make a connection. 

AR can help to teach are hands on and practical style where students learn less theory and more practice. AR is expensive at the current time.

AR brings different subject matters to life and allows students to learn without the use damaging or causes harm to anything.

I feel this is a great way for students to get to like to learn 

This is simply one of the best ideas, thus far! However, the cost to implement an AR setting would be out of range for most educational institutions at this time. In the future, I would definitely love to see AR incorporated into the virtual classroom setting to provide opportunities to simulate.

Dr. Yvette Artis

AR opportunities in healthcare education abound!  With the inclusion of Digital Moulage™ in AR, simulation scenarios can tackle complex scenarios by incorporating audio, video, and image files using QR codes to provide the students with a realistic experience in an intensive care and emergency room settings.

Dr. Janice Sinoski

I guess I am old school, AR simulations are okay, however it is just another distraction in the leaning process.  What ever happened to books, and pictures in books.  Here again I feel that the more visual stimulus given, the more distraction to what we are trying to teach.  I feel like teaching is moving away from the teacher and turning to mind numbing stimulus. 

Sign In to comment