Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

stacey,
Yes, and for students to interact with and author content. Good points!

Dr. Ruth Reynard

New technology allows the student to access the content more efficiently and in a way that is more user friendly. For example, the addition of the ".com" key on the key pad. This key allows for efficiency. Another example is the creation of the IPad or the notebook. This allows for a ready access that is quicker than accessing the laptop or desktop.

Chanel,
So the directness changes what, do you think, in learning expectations? Do you think teachers maximize the potential of the technology in their methodology? What do you see are the main challenges to teachers?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Directness changes the learners focus. Often learners can get off track in their thinking and they can become uninterested in the topic. Being direct diverts the learners attention so that they can stick to the topic.
Yes. As a teacher grows in his/her instruction, they explore unique ways to engage the learner. In doing this, technology is typically incorportated because the level of intercation for the learner will increase. Especially if students are only accustomed a "chalkboard" classroom.
The challenges that teachers have is how to engage the learners that are uninterested, or the learners that have shorter attention spans.

New technology has enabled different types of content input including videos, articles, and live labs. In live labs, students are able to observe how a process takes place and emulate that process to better learn the lesson. I have used "connect" from McGraw Hill to facilitate a hybrid course on electronic medical records. The students would attend classes on campus and get to ask questions and get answers. At the same token, the labs and the homework are done online and graded by the program. The students get feedback both on campus and also online. The students seemed to like this module more than an online only or a campus only class.

As for me and my current workplace, I did a technology assessment a couple of years ago and the results from the tool I used showed my place scoring fairly low. Because each classroom does not include a computer with Internet access, I'm finding myself allowing students to use their cell phones during class discussions to perform relevant content searches. This unfortunately contradicts the standard "no cell phones during class" clause in the course syllabus. But until my job catches up (slow changes are being made), I feel I will need to continue this practice.

The rapid advancement of technology used for learning environments often pits the student that has self taught technical skills against the wall. The technology can be limiting to the student's learning practice and thereby force the student's efficacy to diminish versus stimulating the student to develop a solid understanding of the subject through engagement. This reality exists in the practices of higher education. Every student may have different valid means for how they approach the use of the technology for input. However, those that see the technology as a convenience are more directed towards a task oriented process of attaining a grade motivated by completion versus engagement with the subject to demonstrate effective learning to earn the grade.

Complete and constant connection, readily available information

Julie,
I agree...how do you this this changes student expectations of education and the instructor specifically?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think using new technology has helped students to think more critical and use more critical thinking in the class. I have found this to be one of the biggest changes I have noticed as well as better and faster research.

Aisling,
It certainly can, however, what have you had to do as the instructor to support this kind of critical inquiry? Has teh design of your content delivery, assignments and projects changed?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

This i agree with when i was the student age i used all the internet and computor access labtop or mobile and shop data to help find the problem

DANIEL,
So, do you think that new technology can actually help develop problem solving skills in students? How do you achieve this with your students?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

How does new technology change content input for students generally? If I'm translating this question accurately, I would state that technology changes the degree in which content can be comprehended. Learning styles vary from student to student. Technology gives students the freedom to control the delivery and access of content based on individual pace and preferences, therefore, allowing students to comprehended the information more effectively. As it was mentioned in the content of this course, some students learn content more effectively when the information is presented visually. Technology gives students choices with regard to their content.

Vicki,
Very true. Therefore, the flexibility that the technology supports and the level of customization possible means that more differences and preferences can be addressed. Good points.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

There are times when I think that the technology has stifled our students in terms of their content. In my program, my students do not learn as much information because they can easily look up the references on their IPADs. I am not saying that it is a bad thing to have reference guides and many professionals always have used reference guides. However, I do believe that is up to us as educators to encourage more higher level thinking in our courses. The students do not have to be so engrossed in rote memorization now so the teachers must construct exercises to challenge their students to critically think about the information that they can easily accessed and to apply that knowledge to real life situations.

Beverly,
Yes, very true. So our teaching should focus more on the process of learning than on presenting information. Good points!

Dr. Ruth Reynard

New technology allows greater flexibility and options for student input. It can allow students more time to think before responding and improve the quality of their responses. It also allows the instructor to easily capture the students attention

anthony,
Yes, the self-directed support is wonderful with new technology and that allows for individualized pacing and response time. Good points.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

New technology has changed the way that content is delivered to students; as well as how they access content.

Students can access information from a variety of sources almost instantaneously. My students have access to an ebook rather than a standard hardcopy. They can research their assignments using internet tools, or the campus' virtual library, and so on.

In addition, they can and do use a variety of devices: desktop computers, laptops, tablets, and smartphones.

Thus, they can access content asynchronously from nearly any location.

Sign In to comment