Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Yes, most of them are free conference call tools and can accommodate as many students as possible.

If they are not technologically wizard, they might need some help somehow while trying to simulate some designs. I believe this is a “two way strategy”, subject matter expert and technologically wizard developer will offspring a quality course design. Both need each other! Though most Learning Management Systems (LMS) has been built to be user friendly to make it easier for a non-technical instructional designer. But there are some designs that need the handshake of a technological wizard. Focusing only on the built in features of (LMS) might be limited at times to meet the challenges of the ever growing technology.

Shelly,
The school pair the wizard with the subject matter expert right?

Michael,
I agree, most modern computer technology is user friendly with great Help me tools embedded to it.

Dr. Henrietta,
Indeed! This makes for a great set up if the wizard and SME work well together.

Shelly Crider

Aida,
There are many programs out there to help those who are not as "techy" as others, but can still create a good/great class!

Shelly Crider

Hi Shelly

Great question. I think the individuals who write code for online courses need to be strong with technology. Online course developers should have strong technology skills

Thanks

Alana

While I do not think that the SME has to be able write their own javascript, having strong foundation in technology is not only helpful, but necessary (a friend in the IT department is always good too).

Being able to use all of Microsoft Office, Adobe, Web communication tools (webx), and video courseware.. Knowing how to check on student work with tools like TurnItIn, etc...

Your online classroom will not run exactly the way your on ground classroom did! Make sure that you bring the appropriate tools.

Alana,
It is nice for the instructor to work with the developer or at least know some tips to tweak their class.

Shelly Crider

no, we do not need to be wizards because the technology is simpler & readily available, but i always seek wizards to help me with the technical part.

gene parker

gene ,
Good collaboration is a win win situation for our students! Nice job!!

Shelly Crider

Disagree. I think there is a strong need to understand the technology used to teach the course. Students will figure out quickly that the instructor doesn't know what they are doing and loose interest.

Shelly,
While you may not have to be a technical wizard, knowledge of the basics helps! I tell my students if they want to use an APA template, that is fine, but it works even better when you know APA.
Angie

Angie,
Good point. Microsoft Word has really increased its help for the APA or MLA citing.

Shelly Crider

Developing an online course requires some solid knowledge of technology. In most cases an instructor will utilize a platform that only requires adding content. However, a course developer will need to utilize some advanced information tools and techniques.

The development of an online course requires a subject matter expert with technology skills (super wizard :-) ) or a subject matter expert and a tech wizard to create the multimedia content and the programming to run the online environment.

My answer is neutral. Some faculty members might be while others might not have to be. I think subject matter knowledge is critical because there are technology instructional designers who are trained to support faculty when developing their online courses. Thanks, Tom

A course can be designed by an instructor that is not a technological wizard, but it is highly advisable to pair a subject matter expert with an instructional designer. If possible, a person who is knowledgeable with the many aspects of what can be accomplished in the online environment would also be of benefit. Ideally, a subject matter expert, an instructional designer, and a technological wizard would make a great team in developing a quality online course. However, it is possible for an instructor to use the resources of software, textbooks, and online learning, such as this course, to design and implement a quality online course. The instructor would need to reach out to his or her institution’s technical support team at each step of the design and development stage to ensure a successful outcome.

Tom,
I would like to think that all course have an SME instructing them!!

Shelly Crider

They SHOULDn't have to be but the current crop of dahsboard for online learning have much to be desired.

In the software component they certainly do but not in the ID process. The iD process requires instructional and structural integrity knowledge and the ability to translate coucrse outcomes, content, and pegagogy into s structurally coherent design.

Sign In to comment