Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I've heard a lot about flipped learning lately. What does everyone think about this concept?

You do not have to be a tech wizard but you do have to have a great deal of tech expertise. You have to be trained in the online environment in order to operate successfully, especially if you are a ground instructor that has no experience in the online environment.

George,
I love how you stated "structrually coherent design". This is oh so important!

Shelly Crider

Stephanie,
check out these links....

This one is a flipped classroom certification course through SOPHIA:

http://www.sophia.org/flipped-classroom/?cid=emailSOE08.30.12

This is for a live webinar from instructors who are using the flipped classroom:

http://sophialearning.eventbrite.com/

Shelly Crider

As others have observed, there are numerous resources that can be used to help with technical questions. Also, much of what is in a course platform does not require an expertise per say to be able to use it or incorporate it.

Hi Shelly and Class,
I agree that online course design does not directly require an extremely advanced level of technological knowledge. It is helpful to have some understanding of the basics behind how online environments are browsed and why web design theory encourages certain organizational principles. However, one does not need to understand computer programming on an expert level. In my opinion, it would be helpful for online course developers to collaborate with individuals with complementary areas of expertise.

Those with a strong background in course design and pedagogy could collaborate with individuals with web design expertise to create synergy in course design development.

Eugenia

From my experience, I have found that the design of an online course is best as a Team effort. The professor is the SME - Subject Matter Expert. Then there is the Instructional Designer (ID), who takes the SME's content and adds all the necessary bells and whistles in the online environment. I don't believe the instructor needs to be jack of all trades. Professor should focus on course content, let the ID focus on technology, and we end up with a great course!

Agreed. Most online courses follow simple formats. It is helpful to have basic skills and be at ease when typing.

Wizard? Maybe not; Savvy, definitely!

In order to design the course, you have to some expertise in using the internet, some knowledge of what is possible, and clear communication skills to let your programmer know what you want. In addition, it is beneficial to have a grasp of what skills your students would have.

With apps available and smartphones common, it does help to keep up with technology.

Grace,
I do hope that all the instructors teaching a class is, indeed, a SME for that course!! I do like when an additional ID gets involved as long as they work with the instructor as to how the technology works.

Shelly Crider

Jane,
This is true. So many students like the technology, but there are many out there who are afraid of it and need you to hold their hand in many instances.

Shelly Crider

I think developers of online courses have to be subject experts(wizards). As a former Web Developer, I can say that I designed websites on owners' demands and how he/she wanted the website to look/feel like. So, as a subject matter expert, I do not have to be a tech guru,I need to have some tech skills to be able to understand about my class though. I can find tech gurus and tell what I want my class/website to look like.

I agree. I feel that we should have knowledge of content instead of C++ language.

Well, having been one of the MOST tech challenged instructors when I first started using this technology in the late 90's, I still feel unwizardly.
It doesn't take a tech wiz, but it does take patience and patience, and did I say patience?
I find it especially challenging when using various systems at different colleges. But, once you learn the format, you are off and planning your class.

Developers of online course generally do not have to have mastery of technology in order to fullfill the requirements of online course development. Most of the applications are GUI which enables even novices to follow simple steps to complete each aspect of the deployment of the development segment. Setting up course outlines, course objectives, lesson plans, assignments, tests and exams to take advantage of these GUI modules requires no background experience. What does come into play is familiarity of the subject content and deliverables, then intgrating the development goals and objectives into the tools and applications available.

I believe they are online wizards based on how rapidly technology is changing. Creating an environment that sustains effective learning in an ongoing environment takes a lot of skill and thinking through.

I agree that you don't have to be a tech wizard to teach online courses. However, you must be comfortable using technology as an assistant in achieving learning outcomes. You should not be afraid to try and learn new systems. And you should use all that is available and relevant to what you are teaching.

Darlene,
Patience is a virtue...no matter what arena you are in!

Shelly Crider

Anthony,
Technology is always changing. We as instructors need to keep up with changes.

Shelly Crider

I don't believe an instructor needs to be technological wizards in order to facilitate and develop an online course, but they must be computer proficient and literate in MS Office, Firefox or Internet Explore, and other software programs related to the course. Most online courses can be set up using the school's platform, tools, and technologies which are generally user-friendly, easy-to-access, and also structurally sound. Any problems are hiccups can typically be solved with a phone call to the technical support area. Just like students, instructors need to have the basics in order to succeed.

Sign In to comment