Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

With today's learning management systems (LMS), developers of online courses need significantly less technology knowledge than years ago. The LMS and often a technology support or curriculum development team support the developers to help ensure that the materials are placed appropriately and that all aspects of the course development process are addressed.

I would disagree.

Being very comfortable with technology I think is necessary to be an effective online course developer. As we have discussed in previous threads, the look and feel of an online course are critical for the succesful delivery of the course and this will require that the course developers be very knowledgeable about the latest technology available to integrate content with assessments and activities such as simulations that enriches the learning experience of the students.

For most pre-packaged online courses where the instructor does not have input in the the design of the course, we do not need to be technological wizards...just an understanding of how the LMS we are using works.

However, if I was designing a the entire course then an instructor either needs to know IT or know how to access the IT expert at their institution. Unfortanately, I do not have time to become an expert at IT, so I rely on those who are to help me develop an online course.

For example, I do not know how to create the audio/visual presentation like the one we have in this course. I would love to add one to my online courses, but an expert would need to help me in this area.

I don't not believe they need to be wizards; however, they should be knowledgable about current technology.

I disagree, course developers must have an understanding of various types of technologies available to present material. One example that comes to mind is developing an online program to teach computer software skills. In order to develop an effective online course; you must as the developer understand the capabilities and requirements associated with delivering this material in addition to how feedback will be distributed and how to test a student's understanding of the material.

Tanya,
The LMS do indeed come with a lot of tutorials. These are all very helpful.

Shelly Crider

ILEANA,
We definitely need to know how it works as students rely on us for answers to their questions. We also need to check the class for accuracy.

Shelly Crider

I disagree with your statement. In order to keep students engaged in learning, digital immigrants have to work twice as hard to keep the digital natives wanting to learn more.

You did not have to be a tech wizard, but you should have a good working idea of how the technology works that you are working with. This is also helpful when the students need some help with tech issues!

I partially agree with the statement, “Developers of online courses do not have to be technical wizards.” I think that if a person is involved in the development of online course material, they should be familiar with the entire process, as each phase of the development requires different skills, with each step impacting the ability of the others involved to effectively complete their portion of the final development process. You may have Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) provide accurate content, those who format the material, and others involved in the technical aspects of imaging and final production, etc. (I am not fully aware of each step, but have been exposed to the process.) At some point there must be someone who is a “technical wizard” who can assure the material can be appropriately displayed in an effective on-line format.

Yes Agree. I think an online instructor can learn as they go. A person does not need to be a genius on developing online lectures, or using different tools in order to produce a great learning environment.

Technological wizard? No.
Technologically competent? Absolutely.

To efficiently and effectively organize and administer an online version of a course requires basic competence, for example in Word, Excel, PP, and Access.

My strategy would be to team with someone with more graphic design expertise if I had a vision for an element that overreached my skill level. Because technology is always evolving, I think, as instructors, we are more effective in teams than striving to be masters of all the elements of an online course creation.

I agree that online course developers don't have to be technological wizards. However, they do have to have some technology knowledge. They also have to be able to find plenty of content to keep their student's attention. Remembering to give credit for sources and content is critical.

David Pittman

Lisa,
It is a good idea to know how your program works. An instructor is the first point of question. I hope the instructor knows what the answer is or who to point the student to.

Shelly Crider

Jesse,
Knowing different tools is an awesome talent. Not just tools, but resources as well.

Shelly Crider

I agree, Software applications these days are pretty user friendly and there is no shortage of tutorials and examples available as well as templates to use in the development. The more development you do the easier and better it gets. Even today's programmers don't type out code like they used to they let software write the code for them and then they go in and tweak it.

Edwin,
You are correct. Software applications are becoming more and more friendly.

Shelly Crider

Nooooo?

It would be better to be a wizard at creating a valid online course than knowing how to run all the programs to create the media envisioned by the course creator. If specific media is needed others can often be employed to create the different presentations required...

But if a creator already knew a lot of those programs they may come up with a better vision of the course because they know the abilities (and limitations) of the different medias...

The best Architects are those who also know how to build.

So maybe?
:)

I do not think you need to be a technical wizard to develop on online course. If the school has a process for the instructor to upload materials and tools that will be used, the creator does not need to be a master at development. If the instructor has to create the online course similar to creating a new web site, the user would need to understand how this is done and have knowledge of web development. I do think developer needs to understand and be able to use all technological tools that will be used in the classroom.

Angela ,
It is important to know the technological tools and how they work as students will look to the instructor first as to what they need to use these tools for.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment