Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree. However, the more expertise the better the presentation of the course. I teach web design and I always tell students to get content defined and structure (what goes on what page etc) before worrying about design, colors, animation etc.

I do feel that some level of expertise would be needed to be able to easily maintain/update/change site content, unless you have IT who can do it for you.

I agree that developers do not need to be technological wizards. But it helps.
One has to have a solid knowledge of the "Office Suite", what is Web Access, what is a Web page, etc...

Agree, however the more expertise one has with Office products the easier it will be. This is especially true of Powerpt. online class presentations.

I'm neither "fish nor fowl" as I am both an online and on-ground instructor as well as a program director and director for online education. By the various hats I wear I had no choice but to functionally master the technology that delivers online content [wikis, chats, forums, Adobe products like Connect Pro, Presenter, Captivate, Photoshop, etc] along with video editing software [Final Cut Pro, Sony Vegas Platinum, etc, etc]

But to the point of the question, it greatly depends on the resources of the institution, and surprisingly the faculty are more knowledgeable about the software and needs than the traditional "IT Pro." I've gone out of my way to build bridges with our IT dept [lunches, Wii games, snacks, meetings, etc] and that has paid off BIG TIME because it creates a forum where they want to not only see what I'm doing online, but also what I'd like to do in the future, where they are the experts and can offer and feel invested in the process.

Good question, convoluted answer. ;)

I would think knowledge of technology is important if you are the person designing and developing the course. A lack of this knolwedge could contribute to a negative effect to the learner

Karol,

I agree, a confused developer will confuse the student as well.

Best,

Jon

(PS - Hi Karol!)

Well said! - Jon

Hiring someone to put together our classes is an extravagance we cannot afford. As instructors we are expected to make our online courses and have content expertise to teach it well. Our degree of technological expertise, typing ability, competence in english grammar and writing must be extremely high, as well as our ability to interface with students in a whole new environment

It is highly frustrating, but also leads to incredible opportunity for those who have these skills or wish to acquire them. The amount of dedication is tremendous, but is equally matched by the sheer exileration of, "I did it!! It's sooo cool."

I do think there is a degree of technological sophistication that must be in place on the part of the developer, especially if the responsibility includes creating and uploading content into a course delivery platform. Many of these platforms take some time to learn and use effectively. Also, understand the needs and expertise of students in terms of their computer skills and available equipment configurations requires some understanding as well. Operating systems, browser settings, uploading assignments and participating in various media strategies requires a certain degree of familiarity on the part of students, and developers and instructors are often called upon to provide support. In these platforms, various applications supplied by different software producers are blended together and there is some resolution that has to occur when setting up and initiating any course for online use.

Yes, there is usually tech support to help us out when designing and uploading course content items, and over time many skills and tips are learned that help improve the effeciency and effectiveness of the course. The keyword used in module #4 was "seamless." When we upload content items and they are not considered together, or tested by the developer, the outcome can be anything but seamless. So there is a unique combination of subject matter expertise and a higher than average technological skill level required here. This is not a task for your average bear.

I agree, Satrohan, and this is an important point. The technical expertise required by the developer is an order of magnitude higher than that required by the instructor, and that in turn is higher than that required by the student. But in order to create a system that can be used by novices, a great deal of technical expertise and creativity is required. Things that seem simple often have a complex underpinning.

I guess we would need to define some levels for computer users. I would start by describing the novice level, the typical user level, the power user level, and then the IT professional level. I do think a course developer needs to be somewhere in the typical to power user area, assuming there is support from the IT pro level.

The actual developer needs to be technologically litterate, the presenter and the subject matter does not need to be so litterate.

I think it helps to have some technology background so you know how to navigate the online environment. It would be important that the instructor and guide the students, so there does have to be some knowledge there.

Jon,
I agree. However they will need to understand some basic concepts and fundamentals of design in order to have a realistic idea of what they want. With technology at the level it is at today (and improving everyday) a lot of "tekkie" stuff can be done with a push of a button.

--Joe Gilkerson

Obviously it takes a good amount of tech expertise to put the site together but one person does not need all of it. It takes a team to build the course. But the ISD needs to be sound otherwise all the flash and hypertexts will amount to very little. A basic understanding of what can and cannot be done on the web is important. You will waste a lot of time in analysis and design if you continually ask you web designer to do something that will bog down the deliver of info over the web. To say you need no tech expertise is a misleading statement but you certainly dont need to be a wizard.

I am mixed on this.
I have learned so much about technology while being an online instructor. On the otherhand, it is important to have an understanding of the technology and nature of the online learning environment.

Jon,

I believe that the developers have to be technical wizards if at all possible. That kind of expertise will allow the developer to make suggestions that could further the ease at which a student can complete the course. The expert developer from experience can make the course more "user friendly" for the student.

Good point, you are as strong as your team! - Jon

I agree, you need to have a strong team if you aren't a "wiz". - Jon

Sign In to comment