Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Tylana-- I agree.. Networking is important. I’ve learned of new technical tools/techniques not only from fellow instructors, but also my students.

Mark-- Response times and optimization are more technical in nature. These are important in order to have a virtual classroom free of distractions. We want students focusing on the content and not jumpy video, images that don’t load and links that don’t work.

I think developers need to have a broad idea of what technologies can assist in meeting the course outcomes and appeal to a wide range of learners. All LMS's are different with unique features and it would be very difficult to be competent in them all. In our organization there are separate individuals who construct the course in the LMS (the technical piece) and those who design the course. This way no technological expertise is necessary and the developer can focus on design. The drawback is a disconnect between design and functionality.

The technical skills of an online course developer’s depends on the learning management tool. A tool such as Blackboard does not require strong technical skills to develop a course.

However, a course developer should understand how to manipulate various media files: images, sound, video. These have to be created/edited and loaded into the learning management tool.

As long as there is an instructional design team, the SME developing the content does not need to be a technology expert but does need to feel comfortable working with technology and definitely be a team player. I believe it is easier for the developer if the developer understands how the LMS operates and has online experience.

I would agree as the content needs to be to focus not the mechanism. Often times technology is used for the sake of using technology but instructors often forget that each new technology requires an investment of learning that may not enhance the students skills or interests.

Technological expertise is not the most important skill for an online instructor. Again, I want to share that you must still teach in the online environment and not just have every bell and whistle to make students feel stimulated. I believe that media is important but using the classroom to engage the students is most important, not how cool the technology you have.

Joel,
I like your comment on disconnect between design and functionality. We must make sure that the course is functionable.

Shelly Crider

Wendy,
Nice post. An SME is necessary for the class content.

Shelly Crider

I do not consider myself a wizard but I do consider myself to be technically capable of designing an online course. This touches a nerve for me...A few semesters ago, I was placed in a position to bring up an online course with out any time of training or design. I struggled through the whole process and became quite tainted. But I learned to research the whole process of online learning and realized that it was not just posting lectures or power points for review...I performed a great deal of analysis. I have also found out that I still need guidance and direction to make my courses more effective.

Diane

I would have to aggree the student online learner does not have to be a technical expert, they do however need to have a basic knowledge of computers.

This would all depend on the software being used. I have used absolutely horrible learning platforms and others were great. You would need to be a SME to develop a course.

Shelly,

If you are going to develop a meaningful online course to meet your objectives then yes the developer should have a good amount of technological skills. Otherwise it will be harder to envision the best choice media to present the objectives for that unit.

Amanda

I do not think that one needs to be a technology wizard to develop online courses. It might even be a good idea to develop the course without the use of technology, since one must presume that the end user has limited or minimal technological skill. The role of the instructor has not changed; however, the tools have evolved. The online mode (of technology) has allowed a new medium of the delivery method. Nonetheless, the instructor cannot merely transfer what she/he was doing in the classroom to the online concept. As one researcher suggests, making this transformation is like “putting a radio show on TV.” This means that the instructor in this new era must understand and overcome the challenges faced by new technology. Thus, in an e-learning environment the instructor must be able to communicate via emails, file sharing, chats/discussions…etc and therefore the appropriate technological knowledge is required to ensure that the appropriate course design is in place.

I disagree. I think that the technological part of any online course is a little beyond your average computer user. So I would say that where I would be great at implementing the content that I would like to use in the course and any accompanying theory. I doubt that I would be able to bring it to life online.

Before I agree or disagree, I need to know the true meaning of technological wizard :-). Shall I consider people technological wizard if they know how to use internet, MS Office and some other applications of Windows. Or shall I consider people who already know all those; on top of that, they know about computer programming, can program, know about computer architecture, meaning of all sorts of words that we come across - DSL, SMTP protocol, etc? Or shall I consider the computer scientists and engineers as technological wizards?

My personal belief is no one has to be technological wizard to create any online course because: 1. where there is a will, there is a way; 2. anyone can learn / pick up the technologies that are required to create online courses because in my viewpoint those are extremely simple technology.

Thank You,
Srabasti Dutta

I do believe it is important to have some degree of technology expertise in some areas.

I very much agree with your statement. I think it would help for the developer to be technology savy, as well as the developer knows something about web design.

I think this is a problem in many companies when you have engineering, product development and marketing. In a perfect world, all people should know a little about all fields so that one can speak the other's language and to bridge, budget and operational constraints.

This is certainly an interesting question and one that is a challenge always.

Dr. Shirley Chuo

Srabasti,
Good point! What exactly is a technological wizard?? I think many people would say they are not wizards, but feel comfortable creating online courses.

Shelly Crider

I believe that if you are developing a program that you should have more than a basic understanding of technology in addition to having knowledge about the content of the subject matter.

As the developer you should have an understanding of the audience that you are servicing to ensure that your program is user friendly based on the demographics of your student population.

I have often seen students struggle in the on -line course not because they did not understand the subject matter but because they were unable to understand the structure of the module. For instance how to download and upload assignments to complete for submission.

Well to some degree I agree that developing an online course takes technological expertise. I was asked to help design an online course but backed out because being a dental assistant I didn't use a computer and I was very intimadated. I feel that an expert should design an online course.

Sign In to comment