Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Activity Feedback

What type of feedback can you provide from doing the various course activities?

tis is a new concept for me, but what I have witness it with crossword puzzles, unless it is done in class the students don't do them. Which I find so sad as this is a wonderful opportunity to review major terms and definitions.

If you create the crosswords and offer contests or incentives for the learners to complete them as homework, you will find a larger percentage of learners will do them outside of class time. Good luck!

Bingo appeared to be more fun for the students than the crossword puzzles.

Bingo is a bit more social than the crossword puzzles, so your group must like to talk to each other.

Well, again I teach exclusive online with Medical Terminology. I found when I taught onground or in seat that making a game of the pronunciation and definition in the classroom was engaging for the students. Each student got to say the word, spell it and then break down into each part. We had great fun doing that as the pronunciations were often difficult for the students.

Thanks, Donna for sharing your experience!

I agree with this. After purchasing crossword puzzle software and having my students do them, I realized that they really did not care for this activity. They really enjoy BINGO or as we call it in class MINGO!

MINGO...I love it!

I enjoy bingo with the class....

Bingo is all about matching and is a strategy many students are familiar with...I'd use it frequently.

I have created crossword puzzles to be used as a review sheet in class upon completion at home.
The student with the most correct answers receive points or a prize.

Students love to compete and that is a great idea!

I have a class of 22 students so I tried the one where half the class has the medical term on a note card and the other half has the meaning and they have to find their match. They liked it a lot but it did get a little noisy and I was worried about disturbing the other classes, so maybe need to be more structured. The pictionary game sounds good too...Will try that next class.

Thanks for giving that a try, Elizabeth. I think some joyful noise from a class is okay for a short period of time.

How do you do a terminology bingo game? I'd be really interested in trying it in one of my lectures. I think the students would really like it.

Make a sheet of paper with 25 squares on it, 5 across and 5 down. In some of the boxes place terms and in some definitions. Using the same items make 2 other cards, but put the items in different places. Copy the 3 cards into as many copies as you have students. In a fishbowl, write down the opposite items to match the cards (such as if you wrote a term on the card, write the definition on the paper for the fishbowl). Randomly pull items from your fishbowl and read them. The students must X off the match in their bingo card. the first to get 5 in a row wins!

I think crossword puzzles would be more challenging on an individual basis - especially those that are not grasping the concept or putting in the time to learn whereas bingo is fun and interactive - there is always one individual who blurts the word therefore can you really measure it as an individualized activity?

I would not measure it as an individual activity, but rather see it as a reinforcing activity, Lisa Whether my learners learn from me or their peers, they are still learning. The more I can get them to go back over the material, whether using competition or not(which many find motivating) I see as a positive.

I am looking forward to trying the matching activites. I think that it will get my students excited about doing different activities then the same old same old.

Sign In to comment