Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learner in Your Class

Why would you want to be a learner in your own classes?

Simply because I can learn from my students; the different way I can teach the class so no matter what variety of method I use everyone will be able to understand and move forth with the class and they will have full understanding of the class.

Yolanda, it is a wise teacher who has the attitude of a learner each class. You can put yourself in their shoes and you can learn from them.

Michele Deck

I try to bring personal experiences into all content, so students get both the academic and practical sides of what is being taught.

Julie, it is important to teach both sides of the profession. It gives students a transitioning point from theory to practice.

Michele Deck

I try to incorporate real-life situations into the class, refer the didatic content to professional situations they may experience and that I have experienced myself, and I ask for feedback on the activity utilized and how I can adapt it to assist them in grasping the technique or information.

Katrina, it sounds like you have all the approaches well planned out. Keep up the good work!

Michele Deck

I find that I am the instructor that I always wanted to learn from. I stop and think, "What will make them get this?" I think that in a way, I am a student in my own classroom because I learn from my students what works best for them and I and will adjust accordingly. I also believe that there are not any classes that are going to go as the one previous even with the same course material because students are all so different. That is why I try and teach the way that I wanted to learn as a student. I firmly believe in repetitious learning.

Pixie, your students are fortunate to have you as their instructor. You see the value of the individual and you honor those differences.

Michele Deck

I use real-life work knowledge and experience to the classroom. It makes the topics seem more interesting and it keeps their attention.

Ebony, using these type of examples helps students to see the relevance of what you are teaching them.

Michele Deck

I think being a learner in your own class is great because from each class we teach ~ we learn something new. To be able to actually "learn" it would mean we took it from one class and used in another to benefit that particular group!

Tracy, I find that some of the best teaching ideas I use are those that came from the ideas of former students of mine.

Michele Deck

I learn from my students as well. its great to be able to do that, I think it help them to know we do not know everything

Because its fun. To be a learner in my class means you will discover you are able to learn A&P in a fun, retainable way that helps you to be successful in your career. As a class we all grow together supporting one another in the process.

Jennifer, I think it is important to never lose sight of what it means to be a learner.

Michele Deck

Caryn, I would love the opportunity to be a learner in your class. I like it when my instructor makes the process of learning fun and engaging.

Michele Deck

Being a learner in your (my) class is exuberant. Every time I teach a particular course I try very hard to bring something new to the class, in order to do this, I must take the time to learn and incorporate new things and new ideas to foster learning of my student. As I challenge the student, I find myself challenging the instructor in me.

Center-based teaching has proven to be a very good tool for me as well.

Karen, I agree it is a challenge to become a better instructor with each class you teach, but well worth the effort.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment