Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Service Learning Outcomes | Origin: ED121

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Creating Service Learning Opportunities for Students --> Serivce Learning Outcomes

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

SERVICE LEARNING SHOULD GET TO BE NOT ONLY A PART OF THE CURRICULUM BUT AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE STUDENT EDUCATION.

MANY EMPLOYERS HAVE DISCOVER THAT STUDENTS THAT PARTICIPATE IN SERVICE LEARNING HAVE A BETTER CONCEPT OF WHAT THE REAL JOB MAY BE.

THEY WILL BE USING CRITICAL THINKING AND PROBLEM SOLVING ON REAL PROBLEMS AND GETTING THE SOLUTIONS FOR THEM.

THEREFORE, THE BENEFIT FOR THE STUDENTS IS ONLY MATCHED WITH THE BENEFIT RECEIVED BY THE COMMUNITY.

MANY EMPLOYERS HAVE DISCOVER THAT STUDENTS THAT PARTICIPATE IN SERVICE LEARNING HAVE A BETTER CONCEPT OF WHAT THE REAL JOB MAY BE.

Fifty percent of the community colleges and 25 percent of four-year institutions have made service learning a part of their curriculum.

Reminded of Dewey's focus on learning by doing and its relation to modern developments in service education

24% of public schools have service learning components

Students who do student learning have a better concept of real life.  All inistittions should be involved in service learning

50% community colleges understand the importance of service learning.

The benefits of service learning extend beyond the classroom.  Many potential employers are looking at the experience a potential employee may have as well as education levels.  Once you get past a couple of years in the work force experience matters more than education. That being said you still need the foundation of education to get your foot in the door and continued education to maintain your level of expertise in a field. 

Service Learning is growing steadily and will cntinue to do so. I was encouraged as part of the National Honor Society to do a project, but it was not a part of my everyday curriculum. I like that this is becoming more ocmmon place and widespread. As it should be.

Service learning can be mutally beneficial to both the student and community and improves a students ability to problem-solve real life situations and use their critical thinking skills.  It is a great way for students to develop their soft skills and professional behavior as well as set them apart when they are seeking career opportunities after their formal training.

My experience has been that the creation of service learning projects is best done through collaborating with faculty.  This helps to assure faculty ownership of the project leading to a stronger involvement by their students.  This enhances the curriculum of the course through the "targeted teaching" as well as enabling students to see the application of their course learning outcomes.

The community agencies that are involved in the service learning projects not only receive  needed support, but come to have a better understanding of the value of the educational institutions and their students.

At this period of time, it is most important that institutions and the communities wherein they reside and with whom they serve enter into mutually positive relationships.

I need to start by reviewing my institution's mission statement and see how a service learning project fits within that mission statement. 

im hoping that service leaarning will contienue with students not just at school but though out their life

i am hopeful to further develop the service learning aspects in my classroom 

"The challenge of implementation can be met by developing a clear identification of the goals of service learning and the resulting outcomes." I still face issues with students questioning why the service learning class is integral to the program, and the difference between it and an internship. I'm excited to take what I've learned in this module and apply it to my course and communicating the goals of the course accurately to my students. 

Most important piece I took from this section, "Service learning enriches the learning of course material. Students often raise the question: "Why do I have to learn this material?" The answer to this question can be seen through service learning. "

The Service Learning program gives the students real condition experience. this helps prepare them to function in the given field of employment post graduation. It also helps them develop confidence in their skills and abilities. Being able to actively use the skills learned in the classroom in real life settings helps them see the value of their training and acquired knowledge.

Service Learning is a part of our learning curriculum.  Students are required to not only participate in campus activities, but also are to do volunteer service in their field of study.  

Service learning is an important tool for students to learn how their community can benefit from the skills they are learning in school.

Sign In to comment