Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Evaluating Student Progress | Origin: ED121

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Creating Service Learning Opportunities for Students --> Evaluating Student Progress

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

SERVICE LEARNING SHOULD BE A GOOD EXPERIENCE FOR BOTH THE STUDENT AND THE COMMUNITY.

THEREFORE, THERE MUST BE COMMITMENT AND INTEGRATION FROM ALL ACTIVE PARTIES.

I AM NOT TOTALLY IN AGREEMENT WITH THE PASS-FAIL PROPOSAL FOR EVALUATION, EVENTHOUG I WILL BE WILLING TO LOOK INTO IT FURTHER.

IT IS OF UPMOST IMPORTANCE TO HAVE FEEDBACK FROM BOTH THE STUDENTS AND THE COMMUNITY. THIS WILL CONTRIBUTE TO KEEP EVERYBODY INVOLVE IN THE PROJECT AND GET A SENCE OF BELONGING IN THE PROJCT AND THE COMMUNITY BENEFITS.

TO HAVE RECONGNITION TO THE INSTITUTIONS INVOLVED IN THE PROJECT IS VERY IMPORTANT, SOMETIMES IS ALL THEY NEED IN ORDER TO CONTINUE TO PARTICIPADE IN THIS AND FUTURE PROJECTS.

ALL THIS TOGETHER WILL ENHANCE THE SCHOOL IMAGE AND PARTICIPATION IN THE SOLUTIONS OF THE COMMUNITY AND THE CONTRIBUTION FOR THE STUDENS TO HAVE A VERY VALUABLE EXPERIENCE HELPFUL FOR THEIR FUTURE. 

SERVICE LEARNING SHOULD BE A GOOD EXPERIENCE FOR BOTH THE STUDENT AND THE COMMUNITY.

We snet students on I.T. sites to learning from the existing business and to interact with the customers. It is a good process for all invloved.

Evaluating service learning is conducted formatively and summatively.

Distinguishing between business internship, community service, and service learning was useful

Formative evaluations are on going. Summative evaluations come at the close or at intervals in the program.

On going evaluations help tweek the experience.  Learning how to bring what they have learned back to the classroom is an awesome question for them to answer.

Formative evaluations are ongoing and essential to keep the student and instructor engaged.

Evaluations for service learning should be comprehensive in nature.  While they are only a small portion of the grade if the student is completly unengaged in the service learning they will miss out on a key component of learning that can extend to the classroom. The service learning is meant to enhance educational applicatin of a subject so that students can gain a better understanding of their place in socieity as adults. 

Surveys are a good way to conduct formative assessments 

Surveys, feedback, and self-reflection are key for evaluating the success of a service-learning program. 

I think it is important to have weekly contact with both the site and the student so that changes can be made if needed to ensure maximal learning takes place.  I really appreciated the information on the reflective essay and plan to tie those questions into one of the final formative assessment assisgnments the students complete during their service learning opportunities.

I am excited about pursuing the practical ideas that were provided in this module.

The idea of publicizing service learning projects is an excellent one for promoting service learning and helping participants (students, faculty, and site personnel) recognize the value of the projects that they have been involved in.  In an effort to "recharge" our institution's committment to service learning, I am going to use past projects to stimulate interest in the development of new projects.

Having annual celebrations of service learning projects is another new idea that I am interested in pursuing. This will aslo provide affirmation for all of the participants and provide ideas for future participation.

im looking forward to seeing students talk about there experiance with the commuity , i think its a good way to build confidence in a students work 

I learned that not only is service learning important, but I didn't realize how much goese into making sure the community is encoloved.  My areas of service learinng is different, so all that goes into building good community relationships. 

Sharing the feedback with the student really helps them understand where their growth is or need to be.

The evaluation of the program and the students was interestin, as well as using service learning in disaster response. I hadn't thought about it until now, but it's valuable experience for students that would reinforce their sense of social responsibility and community.

"The service learning model is based upon transferring knowledge and skills acquired in an educational setting to an outside setting for application. Upon reflection you will see that service learning reduces some of the risk of making the transition from career education to the work world by having students use their new knowledge and skills in a setting where they can gain experience, while still under the supervision of the institution."

Evaluating the students learning from the project is somewhat subjective. Identifying the students initiative and commitment to the project is one factor. The students own assessment of what they've gained from participating is another consideration. 

Sign In to comment