Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using Phones

I've often found that storing my files such as powerpoints and lecture notes on my phone seem to work really well. I'm more likely to forget a folder or a jump drive but I'll never be without my phone.

It's also easy to email the files to yourself if there isn't a duplicate screen feature. Anyone else do this?

I do not use my phone, however, I e-mail presentations or other course materials to myself all the time for easy access anywhere and I find that it works for me. I even encourage my students to do the same with their presentations.

I use email too. I have forgotten my phone, and dropped it which destroyed it. Email is much much always easily retrieved as long as there is internet serve. Storaging material on my phone would limit the space I have for personal things. Plus, there is a chance I might accidentally share personal images or information when I go to download from phone to computer. But if it is a method that you like OP, use it.

Zafar,

I do this as well and it has come in handy more than once. Files do go corrupt or may be deleted by another on a shared computer, so maintaining back-up is an essential best practice.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

I have not saved information to my phone but I might just start that, I have used my phone to email power points and files to myself. I have a gmail account that I have emailed files to and then I can search for a file and have access to it were ever I am by using my phone. I have also set up a free webpage for my class with google sites and have study guides and files as well as video clips I like to use in class. I will use this a lot rather searching online for a video clip I just pull up my webpage and have the link right there.

Scot,

Great post, thank you for sharing. I use my phone constantly when collecting and sharing documents from students and faculty. Just this morning I collected a roster that was mistakenly brought home by a professor and collected an internship time sheet from a student who was on-site and did not have the ability to fax a document. He simply took a photo of the time log, emailed it to me, and I was able to process it accordingly.

Theresa Schmitt

I also use my phone for many different occasions i just feel is easy to use and always at hand, if for any reason i feel i need to quickly take care of a situation such as grading or email its works fast for me, i do try to use my phone fast and discreetly just because i dont want to lose the attention and focus from my students

Patty

Yes I store my files not only on college servers for future use but also on my own server. I've created my own websites with images and video to use as a tool in the classroom. I've also used powerpoint. I did not realize how may resources were available through this Max learning center. I am going to look at some of the suggestions and see if there are any I can incorporate for teaching desktop publishing.

This is a great suggestion - I've been using a flash drive, email - but the phone is always there - and has plenty of storage space.

Zafar,

Since I do not have a smart phone that option I cannot use. I have emailed files to myself for later, but the main option I use is SkyDrive by Microsoft. This allows me to put the files in the cloud to access by any PC with Internet access. This has help me when I for got something for class at home or in my office. Office 2013 now has the option of saving files directly to SkyDrive or to open them from an Office application.

Although I do store a great deal of classroom material on my smart phone, I've found it much better to store the files in the clouds. There are free services such as Dropbox and Microsoft's Skydrive. You can basically store files on a Web server and access them from any device that has Internet access. This includes tablets and smart phones. Skydrive has allowed me to give a PowerPoint presentation on a computer that didn't have the PowerPoint application installed.

I encourage my students to use cloud based storage. They don't have to worry about the dog eating their flash drive.

I carry my powerpoints on a jumpdrive, email it to myself so I can, like you, access the info no matter what happens. I can use my work pc, jumpdrive or phone to run the powerpoint. I've learned from painful experience, to always have an alternative. Redundancy is a good thing!

John,

Thank you for sharing, you bring up a fantastic example here. Having the ability to open and view PowerPoint presentations through Google Docs has saved me a couple of times when the workstation did not have PowerPoint installed. Google Drive is my go to for teaching and sharing files with clients- I sync with my phone and my laptop and my files are backed up several times a day as I work. I also appreciate the fact I can create presentations through Google Docs and am seriously considering creating all future presentations directly through this very useful feature of Google.

Theresa Schmitt

I use the school's portal for the classroom to post my slides (which also makes them available for students to use as well). I know I can always get to the slides this way and that the students have no excuses for missing class when it comes to the material covered.

I don't store files on my cell phone due to the frequency in its ability to be stolen and lost, but I do email my works to myself once completed. I typically not up to date with saving items in new technology, but I an working on this.

Good thought though.

I store all mine on a jump drive that is on my key chain never leave without keys so it's always with me.

This is a great idea; I've never thought of saving info on my phone! I have always emailed myself to ensure that the work is always accesible, but I will be adding this idea to my bag of tricks!

I agree that's a great idea. I have my flash drive. But if I lose it what do I do. I always have smart phone with me.

I use flash drives for files. I find that does the best job for me.

I normally utilize a thumb drive or email the documents to myself, but I haven't tried my cell phone yet. Thank you for the tips.

Sign In to comment