Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students and faculty should be connected via social media as long as professionalism is maintained. There should be ground rules established of appropriate versus inappropriate use of social media. There are many documented cases where information on social media has had a negative impact on job retention, professional development, etc. simply because there are no "filters". This generation feels entitled to share all opinions regardless of the professional impact it may have....this is a skills educators must impart in student.

I agree. How do you keep personal separate from professional and how do you manage in a classroom a student who is participating in personal agenda's versus the professional agenda.

I think it’s a thin line when social media such as Twitter and Facebook is used. It may be difficult to keep personal and educational viewpoints separate. There are other educational sources that can be used via social networking.

Robert,

Participation and professionalism points tied into the message board, Twitter account, or professional Facebook page should aid in keeping students in line when it comes to posting appropriately. Also, when a student adds a class page and classmates on Facebook they should be advised to add as an 'acquaintance'. This setting prevents posts outside the class page from being shared with the group.

Please follow this link for additional information: https://www.facebook.com/help/209850012449913/

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

Robert,

Participation and professionalism points tied into the message board, Twitter account, or professional Facebook page should aid in keeping students in line when it comes to posting appropriately. Also, when a student adds a class page and classmates on Facebook they should be advised to add as an 'acquaintance'. This setting prevents posts outside the class page from being shared with the group.

Please follow this link for additional information: https://www.facebook.com/help/209850012449913/

Theresa Schmitt

I feel that when you are teaching a subject with your students and they are using social media feedback, it takes away from the instructor's strength in projecting the information that the instructor is utilizing to get points across. Too much outside interference and discussions could lead to confusion and not necessarily staying on track in class. And it would definitely, I feel, be too much information and takes away from the concentration of the subject at hand.

Bobbe,

Thank you for sharing your concerns, you bring up a great point, there is definitely a risk the conversation will go off-topic when incorporating any kind of message board component to a course. If a student has only recently been introduced to a topic, erroneous information posted by a well meaning student will confuse learners so it is advised to closely monitor such discussion and chime in as the educator and moderator in order to steer the conversation in the right direction. I do believe deep and meaningful conversation between peers does support learning, and social media tools or discussion boards do promote carrying that conversation outside of the classroom, but ultimately you must feel comfortable incorporating such a tool and selecting what is right for you and the subject you teach. Not all forms of digital communication discussed in this course will work for everyone.

Theresa Schmitt

With this new millenium generation it is important to access students with what they're most comfortable with. Although I don't agree teachers should be accessing student's personal profiles, there are ways for teachers to connect with students via social media outlets. For example, a Facebook class page, a twitter class page, or a blog where students can post, comment, and interact with other students and professors. In this way, students will be able to learn about the class and what is going on in a way they find interesting and engaging.

Yes, but they need to keep their personal and educational accounts separate. Combining the two could be a bad combination as it would contain unrelated data.

Yes, but they need to keep their personal and educational accounts separate. Combining the two could be a bad combination as it would contain unrelated data.

I think teachers and students connecting on a social media is alright as long as the account is class specific, protocols have been set and the account settings are also set. Making a social media account for the class would allow for out of class disscussions, students would speak-up more freely and it would engage them. It would also teach the students the right way to use social media.

I think that social media can be helpful in relaying information to a large group and sharing ideas within the group. You have to set limits though when it comes to sharing personal information so personal boundries are not crossed.

After learning about the tremendous benefits of incorporating technology into the learning environment, I think that creating that type of relationship could be extremely useful for all parties involved. Conveying the expectations clearly in the beginning as well as keeping it strictly professional/only class related would be key.
I am definitely behind the times as far as technology goes and therefore am surprised to be so enlightened. I had no idea that all of these resources were available to us instructors and am super excited to see how this will enhance student engagement. I truly think that this could bridge the gap between us and them. This type of connection is really speaking the language of the student. They will probably be even more likely to "hear what the instructor has to say" through this increasingly familiar technology than in a classroom setting.
Although I am a little apprehensive about diving into all of this, I feel it is inevitable to continue to be a great instructor. Thank you!!

I believe that being connected to your student's on social group's could have a lot of benefit’s to the teacher and student. But in a real world could potentially cause more trouble than it’s worth. It's always nice to have other forms of communication with a student, especially for a potential drop risk student. However I believe it would blur the lines of professionalism.

Instructors and students should not be connected on social media outlets. Social media is a place that should be kept away from work. Instructors need to keep there personal life and work seperate. Although social media can be used as a great learning tool, there are too many potential dangers that are not worth the risk.

I think that it is possible for students and instructors to connect on social media, but I think that a class page should be created to ensure that only class-related posts are shared.

If the social media is a class orientated and is contains specifics from the class it would be alright. Students should be required to sign a AUP on what can and cannot be placed on the site that is being used for class.

i feel that could be a "slippery slope" meaning that if students and instructors have too much interaction on these types of media that it could be construde in the wrong way by some as innapropriate. I'm not sure i'd like to take the chance of that happening personally. i do however befriend those that would like to be my friend after graduation though.

Our school also prohibits us from using facebook or other social media. Although I have a facebook account, whenever current students want to "friend" me I decline for obvious reasons. However, I am "friends" with former students who have completed our program. I have found that by keeping in contact with them I can keep abreast of how they are progressing in the profession. Also, when they need some help or answers to things related to what they had learned, I can help them. However, with current students, it's a "no-no."

i believe that being connected to social media is necessary especially in this era where everything is about being connected, but i do think that there should be limits to how much personal information is shared with students

Patty

Sign In to comment