Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I believe it could help with the sharing of ideas and generating interest and discussion around a topic but it must remain professional and not cross boundaries into the private lives of those involved.

I think as long as it is kept at the professional level, instructors and students can stay connected through social media. I recommend LinkedIn to my students. I do not accept requests through my personal Facebook page from students as I feel it is a conflict of interest.

Social media outlets vary and do not believe all are acceptable for a student and instructor connection.
It also will depend on how it is used and as many posts attest school policy restrictions on fraternization will limit engagement.
That said, students setting up groups allow for social media interaction among themselves to support communication and clarification of course material or assignments etc. is a good use of social media.

I absolutely believe instructors should connect with students on social media outlets such as Facebook. Groups can be created so students/instructors can be separated from social contacts and permissions can be set up.

I connect with former students on facebook, but not until after they graduate. I don't think it is appropriate until after the student is no longer a student.

Yingwei,

Connecting with students after graduation appears to be the suggested practice at most institutions with a policy on social media. Personally, there are some graduates I prefer not to have in my circle of online contacts.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

That is a tough question to answer. Part of me says yes that can be connected because it allows us to stay in contact with the students and find out if there are issues that need to be addressed. On the other hand, no because I do not want the students to be involved with my personal life. Many of us here have two facebook accounts; a personal account and a professional account and we "like" students to our professional account not our personal account.

I have mixed feelings about the usefulness of social media between students and instructors. There have been times on social media when I have felt uncomfortable about what I read and tried to separate myself from the students personal life, even though I wanted to help them change their decision making process. It is nice to be able to connect with graduated students to bring them back to campus to speak as professionals in the field with the current students.

Ruth Ann,

Many instructors I know have two accounts- it is really the only way to keep the two separate, though you can limit the posts "groups" have access too. You can create a student group with limited success who cannot read posts to your page, but I still find that a bit risky and not always functional. Designing a course page not linked to your name is always best if you decide to create a page.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

Michele,

I have a large network of graduates and I enjoy reading about their successes and life events, such as marriage and children. Just last week a former student from 2000 contact me and thanked me for being such a strong influence on his life- for reasons both in and out of the classroom. He met his wife in that class and now they have two beautiful children, just celebrated their 8 year wedding anniversary, and are both very successful web designers.

Theresa Schmitt

I am trying to incorporate more groups into my planning of the lesson and having only one person using social media networking so that it shows appropriate use during classroom time, not using the classroom time inappropriately, e.g. for tweeting, texting, etc.

I have mix feelings about connecting with students via social media. On one hand I think information can be shared with students outside the classroom i.e., upcoming events such as webinars, seminars, as well as other educational activities. However, I do feel that there is an inherent danger in engaging with socially. One must be very careful not to cross professional boundaries.

I believe that if a Facebook page is created specifically for the purpose of teaching and sharing, then it can be a valuable educational tool. However, I do not think that connecting through personal Facebook accounts is a good
idea.

absolutely this provides more interpersonal interaction and makes everyone feel more of the part of the group

Michele,

I agree. A separate account is necessary when connecting with students.

Best,

Theresa Schmitt

Michele,

I agree. A separate account is necessary when connecting with students.

Best,

Theresa Schmitt

I have mixed feelings on this one. I personally do not interact with students on my personal facebook or twitter account. However, if it is an account that is dedicated only to the topics discussed in class, I am open to it.

I do not believe instructors and students should be connected on any social media. If and when issues arise in the classroom it would be very difficult to deal with those issues if instructors and students have "friended" each other on social media. It is important to be close to your students but you cannot deal with difficult issues if you become too close to a student.

This is a very interesting question. I believe that social media is a good way to keep in touch with your students and students can keep in touch with the instructor; but, it should always be kept on a professional level. If this is going to be possible both the student and the instructor should have a professional page along with a personal page. As an instructor one should always maintain respect and create a barrier with all students. Keep it professional at all times.

Yes, I believe social networking can enhance learning. Students will be able to actively participate in the learning process. Tis would also enhance interaction between students among themselves and with the instructor.

Sign In to comment