Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Chris,

I am familiar with Vuforia, the graphic capabilities are amazing. We have definitely come a long way since Tetris. I would love to hear more about how you incorporate AR into your lectures.

As a developer yourself, it sounds as if you are in a unique position to share some great examples of this emerging trend in education.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

Online videos that students can view at home reinforce the skills that are taught in the classroon. My students have utilized Prezi for required presentations.

I'm curious....how do you use facebook in the classroom? Do you create a dedicated site that allows only your students? And then what kind of things do you use it for? Thank you.

I HAVE NOT UTILIZED SKYPE AS OF YET, BUT I BELIEVE THIS COULD BE AN EXCITING TECHNOLOGY TO BRING INTO MY CLASSROOM. MY STUDENTS WOULD ENJOY COMMUNICATION WITH OTHER ARTISTS IN OTHER STATES AND COUNTRIES.

I like to use a program where students click in to answer questions it promotes interaction within the class and students are eager to answer and outsmart each other. Makes for a great class and students learn as they play.

Carol,

Please follow the link before for a wonderful, easy to follow slideshow on how to set up a classroom page on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.171939742861067.56325.160213990700309

This link will take you to a guide that offers suggestions for usage and addresses common concerns:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/55599781/Facebook-for-Educators-English

Theresa Schmitt

sheryl,

It is such a fantastic tool, I cannot say enough about it. Aside from guest speakers, it can be used it to bring professionals into the classroom to review portfolio work, which is such a critical element for many degree programs. Live demonstrations is a another great use when it is impractical to go off-site.

Theresa Schmitt

I encourage the class to create their own facebook page for the duration of the class. It does provide daily class comments and sharing of ideas. I have been impressed by its effectiveness.

Social networking is a relevant and successful way to engage learners as Tania has stated . It assists students as well as educators in keeping up in the current trends in the industry . For example product,brands , tips and tricks that other successful makeup artist are using at the moment .

I have found that using powerpoint, youtube, instragram and the web in my class really keeps my students motivated and also current, i feel that it is a great tool and students can also feel that they are learning in different ways and through different resources

Patricia,

Thank you for sharing some of the tools you employ in class. I think Instagram is a great app for sharing images, I would love to hear how you have incorporated this into your curriculum.

Theresa Schmitt

Mike,

I am glad you have given this a try and have found success with a class page. Thank you very much for sharing your experience with utilizing Facebook as a teaching and sharing tool. Do you find monitoring the content to be a challenge or overly time consuming?

Theresa Schmitt

Tabitha,

Student response systems, aka clickers, are a great way to keep students engaged and foster discussion; I enjoy using them as well. Below is a link for the discussion group outlining some strategies for using clickers in the classroom:
http://cft.vanderbilt.edu/teaching-guides/technology/clickers/

Theresa Schmitt

I use the web to find interesting videos, the portal to communicate with my students, and powerpoint lectures to deliver conmtent

Smart boards. That allows the students and instructors to stay on task and you can easily incorporate the internet, powerpoints, videos, etc. with just a touch.

I have enjoyed learning more about the smart board and feel that there are certain classes that will really benefit from its use.

My background is libraries, so I have liked incorporating the database Ebscohost as well as its citation tools. I think many students lack research skills and Ebscohost is pretty easy to use and most of the time very fruitful. It is a nice alternative to Google, which is the usual go-to for most college students. The icing on the cake is the citation tool. This also pleases so many young students because they feel as though they are out-smarting the traditional approach to citing sources.

It is important to use technology now in todays classrooms. I incorporate web games and you tube videos that pertain to the topic. I found that several of my students are engaged and interact well with the web games and you tube videos.

We have recently begun encouraging our students to post pictures of their work onto Instagram. It builds their confidence and self-esteem when they see so many positive comments and "likes". It encourages the students to attend school daily and really participate in the lab classes.

I have found that using YouTube in the classroom has been very informative and engaging to our adult learners. Sometimes the lecture and textbook can be very mundane, but using YouTube adds energy to a sleepy class, or understanding to a student that is struggling in a traditional style of teaching. I make sure that I use this in my classroom every two weeks to keep students interested in the topic of subject.

Sign In to comment