Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As a design instructor, I have found that encouraging students to share their design work via social media and design communities provides a platform for peer critique as well as fosters esteem as they see work they have completed as being comprable to work of established designers. In the classroom I use copyright-cleared youtube videos that show physical or mechanical processes to provide a better understanding of subject matter. For example, in a class that discusses production printing, I show a video where the owner of a large printing facility opens the press and discusses the parts and how the substrate transports from the entry point of the press under the presses and an image is developed. I could explain that mechanical process all day, but this video gives students a fuller grasp in less than 10 minutes.

Having taught culinary instruction for many years, I find it both interesting and instructional that students can use the internet to visually breakdown understand the techbiques of classical French Cuisine. Chefs around the world use different techniques to accomplish the same task, and yesterday in class after physically demonstrating the breakdown of a chicken for Ballontine preparation, my class and I watched Jacque Pepin on You Tube, and he demonstrated and easier and more constructive way to do the same task. Many more fellow culinarians are also on You Tube, and each gives his own knterpretation and demonstration, which in the end, this media source, gives students a current way to approach difficult classroom curriculum, and can be viewed several times, to make the learning process clear and applicable to their set goal.

I teach high performance PCM tuning for 2 different styles of cars. We are constantly using technology to show the students the differences between fuel injection and carburetors.

I have found cell phones convenient for apps related to our topics. The internet is also a great resource.

We have a variety of technology that we use to engage and train the students. Starting with PC's in the classroom for online training, access to diagnostic information and general research. Next we have Laptops as our scan tools...so interfacing with vehicle computers is an area of interest and technology while they can remotely command the system to perform tests. We let them pair their phones to the Blue tooth systems in the vehicles to learn how these systems operate. They can even do ASE prep training on their SMAART phones with an account we provide for them to use 24/7 for one whole year. I would say in general we cover many forms of technology which enhance, engage and help this tech savvy generation into learning successes.

I have found that YouTube is a helpful place to send students for additional demos beyond what I do in class.

Without technology our teaching jobs would be a lot more difficult.

Technology has moved into the classroom setting and has made a great difference.

I would say I am not using fun things. I use basic power-points and the internet to look up some projects. I am taking this course so I can engage students more. I would love any recommendations for learning kinesiology.

I have found power point to be somewhat successful. I teach massage therapy and want to enhance my use of technologies, any help out there or suggestions.

Stephen, I agree with this method. The students attention span is short and I've also found that providing information in smaller sections helps with their understanding and keeps their attention throughout the class. I use videos, games, Turning technology clickers, and short group exercises during class sessions.

Peggy,

I found this article that may be of some help. Perhaps teaching your students how to use software that tracks appointments or offering a course in basic web design in order to promote services may be the way to go: http://collegeofmassage.com/toronto/2013/04/5-technologies-that-are-enhancing-massage-practices/

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

Playing on their natural curiosity, we investigate different ingredients or bits of information either on google images or on their smartphones. Being able to see the things we are talking about helps them to get engaged.

I teach at a technical College so I generally find all technology useful to some point. Power Points get the baseline information out, research via web based information reinforces and simulation brings it to reality.

The technology that I have found to be the most relevant and successful in engaging learners is SMART Boards. This has been particularly useful with our remedial/developmental students.

Nicole: I think Facebook is an interesting medium and should be integrated into education, but it would take a lot of monitoring. I also use MyFoundationsLab for Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. I think these programs are very effective if used properly.

I have used facebook, polyvore, and remind101 regularly in my classes as well as I fully utilize the school's portal system.

MyMathLab.com has been helpful for many of my math students. There are learning tools such as seeing an example worked out or going step by step through a problem with assistance and immediate feedback from the software. This has been beneficial for those who need additional guidance working through concepts.

MyITLab training tools for computer applications has also been useful. In training mode, students who are already familiar with a concept can work independently through a task. However, if they get stuck, there is a "hint" feature that guides them through that part of the task. For those who are new to the concepts, there is an animated demonstration, along with voice narrative, that will show the user what to do to complete a task.

We also have a Polyvision Board (a form of smart board) in the classroom where I teach math. Using the combination of the board and annotation feature in PowerPoint, I can save all of the notes and sample problems worked out in class. I can then make this electronic version of the notes available for students. Those who are absent can still see the sample problems. Even those who are in attendance can download everything as part of their review for a quiz or test.

Have you tried http://www.khanacademy.org/? There are a lot of medical related topics available. Not sure how compatible it is with smartphones though.

I have developed a Facebook page for my students and have them research and post articles/websites relevant to the topic we are discussing to the page. All students must then comment on each post. This introduces students to learn not only from the different articles, but also from the comments from their peers.

Social media in general seems to be a powerful tool as students are heavily involved and therefore the exposure is excellent.

Sign In to comment