Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have found the use of the portal so important, posting grades, attendance, class content, being able to communicate to all students by email the recap of the class activities. I use power points which are included in the instructor materials as well as designing some of my own for my lecture presentations. Also have students print various information from the web for assignments. What did we ever do without it????:)

Nancy,

I also rely heavily on the portal when it comes to communicating with students and uploading course content, such as rubrics, project specs, lecture notes, etc.. I also find it difficult to remember what teaching was like before this technology existed! Technology definitely keeps me organized and the students have constant access to materials that help them succeed.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

vuforia looks to be something very cool we can use to make the classroom more interactive. I jsut registered for it and cannot wait to get started with it.

I like to use short clips from youtube. I also consider what interactive media is available from publishers when choosing a new textbook.

Hello Jason,

I also use power point to lecture! I like the idea of introducing video from the web!

I have used you tube and some of animation clips on nursing book publisher's site. I would like to know which are other sites which can be accessed in clinical area if students are allowed to use their cell phones?

RAJINI,

I am sorry, I cannot answer this question; I do not specialize in clinical. I would ask your campus Dean or Librarian, they may be able to provide guidance.

Yours in learning,

Theresa Schmitt

Short Utube videos can be a great addition to the class. There are many videos out there that are relevant to my IT classes and the people have spent quite a bit of time filming them. I don't have the time to put them together myself.

Some of the productions are rather 'rough' but that only seems to add to the attraction.

using iPads......using smart boards, and doinf projects with powerpoint, incorporating video.

I teach the entry level course for students and they frequently do not know the basics of APA. I provide multiple lectures as well as course content about APA and still many don't understand. I then direct them to YouTube videos and these seem to complete the learning process.

I love my smartboard. I've had it since 2006 from a grant that I wrote, and it has transformed the way that my students are able to visualize what we are studying. And yes, similar to powerpoint, it helps ME stay on task!

I use technology on a daily basis. Students interact with the classroom website I created using doodlekit. I also incorporate my SmartBoard, and the Smart Software suite into my lessons. In addition, I love showing clips from youtube, teachertube, vimeo, and TED.com (especially my TedEd video on geometry proofs!). Other sites such as wolframalpha, are great for high school math. I use poll everywhere to get instant formative assessment data from students using their cellphones as clickers. I foster constructivism in my classroom using java applets, and geogebra. At the end of the year I have students make prezis of their favorite topic and present to the class.

I have found that using Youtube and blogging to be helpful when discussing topics in class. This creates interest with the students and causes the topic to be more engaging.

Jennifer,

I do the same- videos seem to connect the dots for many students. Thank you for sharing.

Yours in learning,

Theresa Schmitt

Scott,

You have this technology in the classroom thing down! Thank you very much for sharing and inspiring others to incorporate some of these tools into their curriculum.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

I have not personally used it, but an instructor i know would post the class's homework on Facebook so they would have to go on and get it or if they were not in class they would know where to find it. I think that is acceptable based on the people in the class. I have used www.mymathlab.com to have my students do their math homework and i have used www.itlab.com to have my applications do some of their work. I really like these applications because it gives instant feedback and allows the student to do the work anywhere they have internet access.

with teaching difficult concepts in chemistry and biology that are in the "invisible to the naked eye" range, computer simulations allow the students (especially the visual learners) to get what's going on. I can also stop the show and ask if they can predict the next step. use of phase-contrast microscopy or "3-D" clips give a visual that seems to give a more permanent learning/understanding than artist renderings or my "artwork" on the board.

3-D visualization. as I teach anatomy (human and veterinary) the flat "2-D" images don't work well as the relationship between structures is more than being next to one another. particularly, in terms of kinesiology (movement of the body), seeing the real relationship between structures allows for understanding the "cause-and-effect" of motion and the associated pathologies.

I agree, especially for a morning class who seems to be fatigue when they enter the classroom. They engage in videos at home which makes for awesome learning, why not do it in class. It gets the brain active and their motors skills are put to work as well.

I have encouraged the use of iPads and other forms of mobile technology in the classroom to not only help document (visually) their work in the room but as an ability to compare before and after photographs while searching for both advances and inconsistencies in their work. I feel that it is critical for student to be comfortable with the use in technology (even with applications as simple as iPhoto or other resources) to manage their portfolio and keep documentation of their work.

Sign In to comment