Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology that is relevant and successful

What new technologies have you found to be both relevant and successful in engaging learners?

I have used Flash to build animated and interactive demos to reinforce lectures on particularly difficult concepts. I have also used cgi scripts and dhtml to construct interactive crossword puzzles that I use on the overhead projector during chapter reviews. The students take turns with a wireless remote, choosing a blank in the puzzle. They read the statement including the correct puzzle word. Another student types and enters the word. I have found this particular activity a very effective method of review, not to mention occasionally comical!

Scott,

This sounds like a fun and engaging activity, keep up the great work!

Theresa Schmitt

I have found Social Networking to be a relevant and successful way to engage learners. Through sites such as Twitter, Facebook, and Meetup, a broad spectrum of users are able to communicate and use technology to connect and engage in discussions with others who have similar interests as their own.

Tonia,

I am glad you mentioned Meetup (http://www.meetup.com/find/)- this has really gained in popularity over the past year. Meet-up groups are also a great way for faculty to get together outside of work to pursue professional development opportunities together.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

I also have found Social Networking to be a successful way to engage leaners. It has really connected the students together in helping each other and encouraging them into learning more about the subjects at hand.

As far as what technologies, I am at the mercy of availability and rules of the school. As well as my own limitations. I am not technical, nor was my degree. We are not permitted to show unauthorized videos (youtube) and have limited computers for use. Many of our students are at poverty level and have no access to computers at home. A few use the computers at the local library to complete online tests assigned outside of classtime, which can affect their score since they can't control noise levels or time limits imposed by the library. Some ride the bus so coming to school to use the computer may be difficult. Some use a cell phone internet, which may be small and hard to read or have compatibility issues. Another consideration is that not all students are young and tech friendly. By using a lot of technologies, some of the other students (and instructors) become instantly turned off. I have talked students out of dropping because of the technology requirements that scared them (a few that never came back). Also, while young students may be more familiar with tech, that doesn't mean they understand how to use it. I know some young people who only use cell phones, but sit them in front of a computer to write a paper and they are lost.

Susan,

I am happy to ear you are incorporating social media into your curriculum. Which forms of social media do you utilize and how do you monitor participation?

Theresa Schmitt

Elizabeth,

You bring up some very relevant issues that many of us in the career education sector face, thank you for sharing these concerns. May I ask what subject you teach and what your students are studying? this information would help me craft a more detailed response to your concerns.

Theresa Schmitt

youtube, teachertube, and some other web sites trhat I have that in my files.

The use of the " flicker"(which is a tool use for answering questions) Students are more active in classes'discussions. Also, this method help to demonstrate student's weakness.

Groups Discussions and Games such as "Family Feud"; "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" or "Wheel of Fortune" seems to have great impact for their Thinking skills.

I usually embed you tube videos in my PowerPoint presentation which gives students a clear picture of what they are learning like the different lung sounds, hand washing etc. I also use socarative for quizzes

I've found that using facebook and youtube to demonstrate points, rather than just slides or videos, tends to give it more relevance to students. It shows that there are others out there doing what we in class are trying to learn. To put it another way, the social connectedness of both of those give credibility to what they're learning. The students don't have to take my word for something when I can show them examples on facebook and youtube.

I find that also if I use them in class, it encourages students to follow the pages we look at and then will engage even when not in the class room.

Keegan,

Great post, thank you for sharing. YouTube videos are generally short and offer information in a condensed fashion unlike videos that can run 45-minutes to two hours in length. Students are less likely to "zone out" when information is provided in short bursts. Short videos in conjunction with lecture and interactive group discussion/projects is a great way to chunk information and ensure students are committing the information to memory.

Theresa Schmitt

Mostly Power Points. I am new to technology really. I did learn to do Power Points and have utilized that several times in class. I am really not comfortable doing Face Book, etc., and have never utilized that. Video-conferencing is definitely valuable and I have participated in that form of technology. Also Blackboard interacting.

Bobbe,

When learning PowerPoint, did you take advantage of the many videos offered on the Microsoft website or on YouTube? If not, you may want to check those out since you already feel comfortable with the platform. There is a great deal of information out there about the advanced features of PowerPoint allowing you to embed links to the internet, video, and audio- you can even save your presentation as a webpage to upload to a class website!

Theresa Schmitt

I am a fan of using technology in my classroom whenever I can, I use PowerPoint on a daily basis. And I think a good youtube clip can add a lot to a long, dry lecture. I have had fun using real time polling of my students using http://www.polleverywhere.com/ it’s a fun way to get them to use their cell phones in class.

Scot,

Thank you for sharing this link with the group! This is a great audience response system that is easy to navigate and use. I have used this myself to create midterm and end of course surveys, collecting student feedback to improve course curriculum and engagement.

Theresa Schmitt

I have been using the Unity3D game engine to create simulations and mobile applications for my students. It is a versatile engine where you can quickly prototype things for students and upload them to the Android or iOS market for students to use. Most recently I have been using Qualcomm Vuforia plugin to incorporate augmented reality into some of my lectures. It allows students to look at a picture and interact with each other and the 3D object on the screen. I would recommend everyone give the engine a try It is much more robust then the Adobe flash and is free.

I use PPT/Prezi, Internet-Nova Science movies and PBS frontline. These always keep my students engaged and on topic in class.

Sign In to comment