Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Introduction to Learning Disabilities | Origin: ED132

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching Students with Learning Disabilities --> Introduction to Learning Disabilities

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

How to approach and teach disability  students

In the first module I learned some of the history associated with learning disabilities. I also learned about the process an individual goes through when learning how to read. I will use cognitively use this information when instructing students. 

In the first module I learned the different stages of learning to read.  Knowing the stages could help me identify students with difficulties and where those difficulties arise.

I learned how to Identify the techincal terms for the four different reading phases.

I learned a differant way to consider a students unique cercumstances or abilities when teaching.

I have learned how to teach students with learning disabilities.

This segment shows how a students attains phonemic awarness and how that translates into reading skills.  Often times if a student doesn't have the skills to engage basic decoding strategies they will not be able to read the word properly nor will they know what the word is.  This proves that the early stages of learning to read are so important and must have reinforcement at school and at home.  Parents that read to their children even the simplest of books still can demonstrate phonics skill mastery that will help in future word identication and decoding. 

I was facinated by the levels of phoenimics.

In the first module I have learned that learning disablities are not outgrown. While it is implied that students get all the help they need in lower levels of education, I have experienced that not to be true.  I will try to find ways to help students become aware of the possiblities of learning blocks, and try to find ways to get them the help they need to be successful in the post secondary level of education. 

It is interesting to learn the history of learning disabilities and how students learn to read. By knowing this information, I will be able to work with students who struggle with reading and understand the problems they encounter. Knowing the importance of phonemics will assist me as well as I endeavor to modify their work.

I found it interesting to learn more about Phonemic Awareness and how it relates to reading skills. 

The misunderstanding of people with disabilities hit home.  Even though I know that lazines and lack of motivation is a misunderstanding, it always a good reminder.

Learning disabilities do not mean that a student can't learn. It just means they learn differently than others. It may take different strategies or instruction to reach them. 

How to approach students with learning disabilities and use different strategies to better teach them.

It is great to be reminded of the reasons why students may have difficulty reading. 

Very informative. Understanding the foundation of reading skills is crucial when it comes to students with learning disabilites. Addressing these challenges early on can make an impact in the success of the student. 

In this section I learned about the stages of reading and how this might be difficult to someone with a learning disabiity. I also learned that 10% of the population suffers from a learning disability. 

In this section it reaffirmed about memoriaztion in early stages of learning the alphabet and words.

I have a grandson with ED with math but very bright in other subject how can I help him?

Sign In to comment