Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It's like being around people who all have ADD. Sure on the one hand it gives so much more information in which to find things. But on the other it makes it so much harder to focus and study things on their own and in depth. (A 50 year old science fiction story looked ahead when a government official proudly said, "Anybody can find anything, but nobody needs to know anything.") Basically in many--certainly not all--cases they don't have the skills. It is easier to read Wikipedia than compare different authors. I love the ability to quickly research topics and communicate with many people, but I grew up in a world of libraries and long reports where I knew how to budget my time to write and rewrite them. I just don't see so much of that mindset today.

So to answer your question: It's a part of life, but not one that requires much thought. Since it is focused around using one's mind that can lead to problems. But I suppose every generation reconstitutes information. Gore Vidal told Kennedy that the 18th Century political writers were better because mail was so slow they had lots of time to read and think. JFK didn't agree.

I prefer to use e-mail as a means of contact rather than giving out cell phone or facebook
information . I think having students contact via
facebook or cell phone texting is entering that grey area possible were certain students feel you are the same levels as them. I we are taking students on educational trips I will give my number to a student that I feel is responsible enough to use it only in extreme situations.

Andrew,
this is good advice & again something that each instructor has to weigh for themselves & determine where that line should be drawn.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

They are very upset when they cannot have their phones almost like they feel they are going to miss out on life going by. I do make all phones be put away prior to testing and that means completely away and not in pockets and if caught sneaking it during a test I assume it is cheating and fail the test. I have only had 1 time this actually be an issue. I do allow students to record lectures on their phones and even take pictures of diagrams on the board or PowerPoint, I figure being a visually stimulated generation if that is what will help commit it to memory I am for it.

I think Gen Y Students view technology as necessity and a right. They think it is necessary to be able to receive every email and text and they have the right to check it and respond at anytime.

Roxsie,

Sadly this is true as many feel compelled to respond immediately to friends.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

They view it as 100% necessary, all the time.

I am a culinary instructor. Having a phone or computer in kitchen class is a nuisance, and is unsanitary.

But unfortunately, we find that the students refuse to ditch their devices during their kitchen class, for the "fear" of being unconnected.

Their phones and computers are handy during lecture classes, though. Look up recipes, history of food products, etc.

Jean,
I think you make a good point here for certain industries: not only are the phones/devices a potential distraction they are unsanitary & while it's a fight to keep them away, this is important to note.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Technology has become an extension of their bodies. Smart phones and tablets have become so intertiiwined into daily life that these things become more than just tools. They become almost accessories; like shoes....we can use these...extensions to our advantage as educators instead of trying to figure out how to stifle them.

Most Gen Y students view technology as a necessity and as a completely normal part of daily life. Social interaction is the heart of an average Gen Y student's routine and overall way of life. It's completely useless and a waste of time as an instructor to deny this so we have to embrace the technology and use it to our advantage. When teaching sanitation for example; I can have them all look up recent outbreaks of food borne illness. It allows for proper use of technology and opens up discussion. The advantage of technology is that todays students are more socially aware on not only pop culture, but with news, and other current events. We can make it a point to have someone share a current event that applies to the work being done in class. I just feel like we expend way too much energy trying to deny the technology and keep them from using their phones, when it does allow for interaction within the learning zone. I agree that they should be put away for tests so I just put a bowl up front that they throw their phones in until they turn in the test.

They view it as essential. But we have to find the right balance between using it and being distracted by it. Drawing boundaries and giving some flexibility where appropriate are necessary for success in the classroom.

They view technology as an extension of themselves. They feel that it is the norm. They can't function without it.

They view it in my opinion as an everyday tool that they can't surrender/

Gen-Y students view technology as a "must-have", that there is "no other way". Instructing to such a crowd requires incorporating modern technological methods (although I feel I'm a "digital holdout" and many of my friends, relatives, and even peers have labeled me as "Technologically Amish"...I try to adapt, often with the help of collegues that are better versed in "techno").

Andre,
glad to know that you are willing to try & while we should see about incorporating technology, never be pressured into believing that you absolutely must use technology. The students can learn without it & sometimes there's benefit in going tech free.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I find that they don’t feel the need to learn something they can look up. What I tell my students is, looking up info is a great way to stay on top of latest technology but, if you don’t know how it works you can’t apply what you just looked up.

I feel they are too dependent on tech. It decreases their communication skills and writing skills . Ever ask one at the store to give you a quarter pound of hamburger? What's that!

I agree there is a big temptation for a student to cheat especially if their GPA matters (ie student loans, scholarships) fourtunately most of my assesments are a hands on basis

My biggest concern is keeping them from playing video games, messaging, and making phone calls while trying to keep them focused on the subject matter at hand.

Ray,
and this is a good reason for us to really focus on different forms of assessment (where we can) to help prevent the cheating.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment