Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It's a sad truth but today’s students are replacing their brains with the false comfort of knowing that technology is a keystroke away. The demise of their world is one power failure or internet crash away.

Scott,
I have found this to be true as well. I've said before that part of the problem is the technology is just there & they haven't been exposed to other methods or ideas.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Steven,
I agree although in talking with some of my students recently there seems to be a rising "rebellion" against technology. I'm hearing from more & more who are withdrawing from facebook, twitter, etc. It's just too much.

Dr. Ryan Meers

They feel the world stops when they cannot access the internet.This is not good as we prepare students for the real world, they need to be able to survive without technology if the day comes when they do not have it.

Gen Y'ers see technology as part of their everyday existence. Every aspect of their lives includes some form of technology. They have grown up with all of the technological advances influencing their actions, behaviors and day to day activity where those of us who did not have access to these as we were growing up see them as new areas to explore and become used to. Gen Y'ers are connected 24/7 to the world and know what is going on in the world in real time.

I had a student that had to retake the course because he took off time when the new phone came out.They can only miss 12 hours per course so he timed out.The phone was more important to him then the $1,500 to retake the course.

They view technology as something they cannot live without. They also view themselves as superior to others who are not as savvy as they are.

Pilar,
you are right about this. And while I'm not excusing the responsibility of individuals, we have to understand that this is a very market-driven & impacted lifestyle.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I have also found that the younger students overthink questions. They will get stuck on a question and they think of a lot of ways to answerit. Then they get a lot of answers and cannot choose the right one. I tell the students not to "CSI" the question.

Robert,
love that statement & you are right they do seem to overanalyze. I wonder if they've lost the "gut instinct?'

Dr. Ryan Meers

This is true. Technology is a part of Gen Y lives. They can not function well without their gadgets. There is a need for them to be connected constantly.

It is sad really to depend that much on technology and I think Gen Y are yet to realize that.

I think to be a successful instructor I can't view the Gen Y's as odd. They are actually the norm and my ideas regarding the importance of personal technologies are antiquated. There is a great book called Quantum teaching that states that Gen Y will not follow us until we are willing to recognize their world as valid.

Jon-Paul,

I agree that the more we approach this generation as impossible, lazy, etc the more they will meet our expectations.

Dr. Ryan Meers

A concerning trend that I have noticed as an intructor at a culinary school is the dismissal of cook books. Most students go on line to theFood Network site or such sites as Epicurious.com and completely forget about hard copy cook books. I believe that a cook books is a fantastic tool: it's portable, it has time tested recipea, and great photgraphy. They can be a showcase of a chefs entire work or a series of works. They don't seem as sporadic or choppy as 12 different recipes from 12 different websites.

My work mates are right on the money with this. The Gen Y learners we deal with consider their phones to be an extension of their person. Regularly when I am interviewing a Gen Y'er they have no problem checking their phones and messaging during our conversation. It is not a question of if they will do it but how much.

Marcus,
yes, I think we see the loss of the value of hard copy books in general.

Dr. Ryan Meers

The Gen Y students think of technology as the "norm". Many of them have never "not had" a computer. Cell phones are expected and if you do not have one, you are looked at like you have three heads! Technology is a big part of their learning. They don't do well with having to read a chapter or in a book, then write a report. But when they do, you have to remind them that they have to use complete sentences, no abbreviations and can not use text language.

Gen Y students view technology as a way of life. They feel anxious if they do not communicate with they social network devices.

They see it as a neccessity and cannot imagine a day without it. technology is also seen as a crutch that if they don't know an answer, it is easy to locate.

Sign In to comment