Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It seems they see it as an ever-present part of their life rather than an aid to assist them from time to time. To remove their technological equipment may be something like taking clocks and watches away from the previous generation and reverting back to sundials. To some, their immediate ability to communicate with anyone and everyone they associate with could almost be classified as an addiction. Taking away access to this ability seems to cause anxiety in many of them.

Jaime,
yes & the more we help them break away from this addiction & "need" to be constantly connected, the better off they will be in the future.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Because they have had technology around them their whole life, it is so much a part of them that they cant deal with life without it.

I have to disagree with alot of the posts I saw above. Gen Y students rely on their technology in the same way that every generation relies on the technology that has come before them. The invention of the telephone was just as amazing to earlier generations when it came out, and then second nature to those that came after. The same is true of the internet, or smart phones, or whatever the next breakthrough is. We need to understand that and accept it. It is time to come down off the high horse and realize that this is how the world is now. It is unrealistic to expect Gen Y students to not rely on their constant access to information. You can try and pull them away all you want but the truth is that if a day comes where access to information on this scale suddenly vanishes then people are going to have much bigger problems since it means society has probably just collapsed. Embrace the new technology, understand what it offers, move forward and utilize what is available and stop trying to put your social norms on the next generation.

Ted,
well put & I would add that having been in the corporate training world for several years, many of the adults were just as bad or worse than the Gen Yers I now teach.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Gen Y students view technology as norm. They could not survive with out them. I have had students that are living out of there cars but are not willing to get rid of that cell phone bill to survive.

Other than the addiction of having a phone in their possession and having the best of the best in technology.... I have incorporated other creative ideas to forget about the phone. However, in the same token if they are given a research project and we are not in a room with pcs and they are divided into teams, I have incorporated their phones and/or ipads to get their results. But then this is normally because we are engaging in a debate project.

Students love it and I as an instructor find it interesting and a learning experience as well.

Carlos,
yes, they do seem to be very dependent upon the technology.

Dr. Ryan Meers

It is very clear to me that Gen Yers have to have their cell phone, smart phone, right by their side every minute to feel connected. I have seen this in my classroom on numerous occasions. While I do teach a subject that students can utilize their phones in a limited way, I still encourage them to reference the "old fashioned" way, by looking things up in reference books. On the other hand, to stay current with Gen Yers, I do encourage them to look things up on their phones or laptops. This way they get a taste of both, and I stay connected to them. However, I always explain to them that phones and laptops are means that can fail us at times, and it is always a good idea to know how to reference the "old fashioned" way.

Geri,
I think this is a great, balanced approach to using technology & still encouraging other methods.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I often feel hey view it as the best way to learn and interact. I personally find that many Gen Y students have lost the art of interacting and "thinking outside vthe box" to get info and answers to their problems.

Our school also has the rule of no social media engagement with students until after graduation. Honestly, I think it is a good rule because it is sometimes really overwhelming to have so much contact with students. I find that I need to keep some distance so as to keep the classroom focused - and stay sane.

However, we do have a "portal" where I can have discussion boards, post content and keep student grades that students have complete access to.

Alan,
I would agree that this is a challenge with this generation & an opportunity for us to really help them experience the value of dialogue & discussion.

Dr. Ryan Meers

In our educational facility we are blocked from using Facebook. Previously students were constantly on Facebook with their family and friends. Cell phone use was out of control so students are not allowed to use the cell phones during class. How many emergencies can their be?
I have also seen texting addiction. All interaction with family stopped with this person. She had to be withdrawn from the cell phone.

Mary Cornelius

It is my experience that Gen Y students need to feel connected beyond their immediate surroundings. Phones and other gadgets help them stay connected. However, if class is engaging enough, most will pocket their phones.

To me the disconnect (ah, a joke) is that Gen Y students need more education by entertainment, learning by doing. I don’t think that they turn to their devices when they are engaged. (Sure, there are those who check Facebook and such even at movies.) Thus, it is our job to find ways to completely engage these students in class. I don’t succeed every day, but I try to give them the community that they are searching for on their phones in class.

Aaron,
I think you make some great points here about making sure that we are doing what we can to engage our students.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I believe that for Gen Y technology is a must... It is a way of life for them and is continuing to grow daily. So those of us who aren't so techno savvy we need to catch up...

Gen Y view technology as an extension of themselves. It is a necessity that they fear being without!

The technology has been a part of their lives since they can remember so it is easy to see how it has become an integral part of their existence especially as it lets them feel connected to their world.

Exactly, they don't know anything else. They have always had phones. Mom and dad were at work, the phone became affordable and a substitute for a parent. Parents justified it as a means of keeping up with the child. Children viewed it as their source of all knowledge. I know this seems harsh but think about it.

Therefore, it has always been a part of their being. A loss of it seems to one like a loss of part of himself.

However, the more we as Gen X use email, cell phones and text messages it begins to feel like part of us. Gen X has know life without. Gen Y has not. Is one really better or worse than the other?

Sign In to comment