Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Trying to find myself in this.

Since I was born in 1980, I'd be considered a Gen X-er, though I feel I could easily fit into Gen Y. Are there sub groups of generations that don't have such a broad date range?

I was wondering the same thing. I think that because you're at the end of a generation spectrum, you can identify with multiple generations.

Stephen,
absolutely! And remember, just because you're technically of one "generation" you can easily identify with the characteristics of other generations. This is especially true in your case when you are on the very tail of Gen X, it makes sense that you would potentially identify more with the Gen Yers.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Elecia,
yes, great observation & I agree with you. Some of it can also depend on your family members & how "progressive" they are/were in your upbringing.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Interesting comment, as I read all of this first module I found the defining line for 1980 to be arguable. My son was born in April of 1980, but most certainly straddles Gen X and Y. With the pace of technological change and the quickening of progress in the world I would suspect that we will have to revisit "generational cohorts" as a predictor in the near future.

Donna,
great observation. I will say this, depending upon which book/article/website you visit you will find variance in the dates for when the various generations end & when they begin. Especially those individuals who are on the "border" can often be more connected to the previous or next generation. And I agree with you that the generational lines seem to be blurring more & more.

Dr. Ryan Meers

We have a wide varity of ages here. One thing that puzzules me is that most of the older students try to conform more to the gen Y students than the gen Y students to be more like thier elders!

Jessie,
I too have observed this, with older generations wanting to be "cool?" Not sure, but you're right.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I'm with you. Being born in '65, I'm a gen Xer. I feel that I am more like a Veteran or maybe a early Boomer. My mother told me once that I was born 40 years too late. I understand the gererational differences, I can see them, and use the differences to my teaching advantage. I found the topic amusing to myself because I feel that I don't fit into "my generation".

Craig,
I can relate to this as well. Sometimes I think I was born 100 years too late!

Dr. Ryan Meers

I believe it is in how your structure in education was based. Also if your peers were older or younger.

I was born in 1980 also. I find I have more in common with x than y. But am a little of both.

Roger,
yes the generational "lines" are especially blurry for those born on the borders.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I understand where gen-y's are coming from, but to survive and make America return to any level of greatness, we all need to realize we need to cooperate and get things done. It seems gen -y wants to lay blame somewhere rather than dealing with issues.

Born in 1969, I cross the lines and I like it. I can still stay cool with my old crowd and geeky with my younger friends.

Individual personality certainly changes how we interact with our environment and therefore our generation. Thus, it is important to not automatically piegonhole a student into having the traits of their generation. Any of us that have been in classroom know we are continually surprised by our students.

However, I'm a member of Gen X and certainly fit the Gen X descriptions.

Summer,
yes that was the point that we tried to bring out in the course content; don't stereotype just because of birth years. While the characteristics given are generalizations, we must know people as individuals.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I too was born during a transitional time frame. I was born in 1962 and was brought up believing that I was the last of the baby boomers and I always felt part of that generation. It was not until reading this course that I found out that I belong with the Y generation, but reading though the course I did notice that I seem to fit both styles learners pretty well.

Being labeled as a GenXer seemed appropriate to me until reading some of the characteristics. Alot of them applied, however some from the Boomers also applied. I wonder if this has anything to do with being geographical?

Mike,
it could be. I also think it can have something to do with our parents. My boomer parents were more like their parents' generation (didn't do the whole '60's thing) & I've noticed I have quite a few boomer characteristics. Don't know for sure but makes me wonder.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Sign In to comment