Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Stephen,

I was also born in 1980 and along with you, I also struggle to see where I fit in the Gen X vs. Y debate. I remember a time when technology was relegated to Nintendo and being enthralled when I got my first cell phone (must have weighed 2lbs!) However, while I can't imagine my life without the handheld technology that we have now, I also have no interest in engaging in every social media venture that a traditional Gen Y'er seems to covet. Going to school in the 90's, an overhead projector was as savvy as we got in school. Rarely was PowerPoint used even when I was in college. I wonder if we can create a new Generation X 1/2? Any thoughts?

Alicia,
I would say that you are typical of a "later Gen Xer." While you are comfortable with technology, it does not drive your life, the way it does for the Gen Yer.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I was born in 1968 and was raised by veterans while all my brothers and sisters were boomers. I have many of the ideas and values that the veterans have. Since I am Gen X, I remember the one required computer class to graduate was to write a computer program. I waited almost 10 years to go back to college and did find a change in teaching style with power point but many still had the overhead.

Gen X defines me, but the differences within the same generation are truly significant, as I have colleagues, close friends and family members that are clearly defined as Gen Y. I just don’t feel the need to communicate my every movement to everyone. I also find it very hard to understand why I can’t pick up the phone and talk to people rather than sending a text or IM. While it expedites some things people just don’t know how to have live one –on- one conversations. More and more individuals don’t know how to act in social settings that require verbal communication. I also can’t understand why I get emails from my colleagues if we are in the same office and all I need to do is lift my head and answer their question.

Sign In to comment