Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have two daughters 11 and 15, I am amazed at thier level of knowledge about technology and how to use it. But with the bringing of technology does it mean that respect must go out the window? Along with my two daughters I teach in a school full of gen y students and I have noticed the same trend in class, respect is out the window.

I was born in 1963 and i have always had a desire for technology and find it hard to live without it.I also want to know if there is a crossover group that i fit in lol........

I'm in a similar situation to you Stephen. I was born in 76 and identify with both X'ers and Y'ers. This is helpful in the classroom as all of my students are in these generations as well. At first I thought it would be weird teaching students older than me but found that they still respect my years of experience in the profession and also identify with me because we share similar life experiences and interests. I never realized that X'ers were considered the lost generation and sadly realized that a lot of the people I know in my age range did somewhat raise ourselves due to our parents working all the time.

I was born in October of 1980 and like your don, I too straddle the line. For the most part I am keeping up with the latest technology, but there are still a few pieces of technology that I just don't care for or have the need of.

I too, teach at a school with a lot of gen Y students. I too, have noticed that respect, for many, has gone out the window. I want to add that the gen y students that have been in the military understand respect. I don't think it is the technology. I think it is the parenting, or lack there of.

According to this module I am technically a part of Gen Y, being born in 1983. But I do remember reading that, "if you can remember getting your first computer that one could be possibly considered apart of Gen X". This is something I do remember. The majority of students that I do teach are a part of Gen Y, just like Mr. Hall. Our Military students by far have the most respect. I see the most lack of respect in any aspect from my Gen Y students. Technically being a part of Gen Y myself, I can definitely say the problem is not technology. It's the environment, household, and parents that a person grows into that is lacking. As time passes, the majority of people in our country are more and more getting this feeling of "entitlement". Gen Y'ers are not being taught that hard work is neccassary if you want to get somewhere in life. People nowadays just think everything should be given to them. Remember I am technically a Gen Y'er according to this module.

Justin ,
there are definitely many challenges with Gen Y'ers that can be traced back to home life & upbringing. As much as we can, we should try to help them see the reality of life.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Is it Parenting...Maybe..but classroom management, creating compelling learning that appeals to this generaltion might be a better direction then hoping for parents (who work and are exhasted and are wondering why their kids act this way)help- well- you probably will still be waiting.

I have seen charts that have the generations separated in different years. Ex: I was told that boomers are from 1946-1964. I wonder which is right?

Ted,
good question & for fear of sounding relativistic, they all are. In researching the content I found that there are many ways that the generational boundaries are divided, but most within a few years of each other. I selected one of the more common groupings for this course.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Having been born in 1980, and having been exposed to computers from an early age, I am definitely more of a Gen Y than a Gen X

Thomas,
you are a good example of someone who was born more on that bubble & so identifies with the next generation.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I would agree with Justin that there appears to be a rise in the sense of entitlement within Generation Y. Speaking, also as a member of Generation Y, this can be seen not only on a professional level, but from a personal level. Those who I know personally as well tend to reflect feelings of things they are owed. I feel this becomes a tremendous professional liability in a current job market that deeply thrives on competition amongst job seekers. Without the hunger of going out to earn something, you are far behind the market. I think what will happen eventually and unfortunately is that as the generation struggles, they will find value in hard work, much in the same way the Depression era generation did. They'll just have to learn the hard way.

Jeff ,

this is a good point & I would agree. I believe part of the problem is the affluence in which many in this generation were raised, leading them to expect those same comforts now that their parents have worked for 30 years to attain.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree. Many gen y students lack respect but I think part of that is because they lack face-to-face socialization skills. I tend to see students struggling to communicate effectively face-to-face but they have no problem sending an email. They interact so much digitally that it can effect their social skills when not communicating via technology.

Amberly,
this is a great observation. I've been shocked at the abruptness of students in person & via technology.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I completely agree. I was born in the latter part of the Gen X time frame and I feel like I could have been from either generation - X or Y. I agree that there are sub groups of generations that could possibly roll from one group to another.

I was born in 1958 and see myself as a technology crossover, but my values are definately boomer. I am very conservative in my thinking, and as a result expect a fair amount from my students as far as responsibility. Therefore, I have come to the conclusion all of us are crossovers in our own ways and learn from each of them.

I was born in 1964 and I've been called a "Boomer" and a "Gen Xer". I never really gave it any thought. I don't understand the Gen y'ers, I can really only blame my generation, because we are the ones that raised them. Why do we need group hugs? What was wrong with "Sit down and shut up"? I don't want to catagorize or label, I just want them to learn the information.

Edward,
unfortunately when a group becomes accustomed to learning in a particular manner we have to take the time to see how we can best reach them in their preferred method.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment