Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Important Soft Skills

What do you think the most important soft skills are for success in any workplace?

As a Department chair I feel that there are 3 soft skills that are crucial.

1. Dependability
Dependability is important because your students depend on you as a role model and mentor.

2. Motivating Others
As an instructor you must be able to motivate your students

3. Being Polite and Tactful
When we respond to our students in a tactless or impolite way we in return get the same type of response from our students. If we respond politely and tactfully we usually get a more mature and polite response to our students making the learning environment a better place.

I think a positive attitude toward your job and coworkers is a MUST. Treating others with respect and being a TEAM player are also extremely necessary in any work environment.

conflict resolution and dependability

I feel that showing appreciation to one another in the workplace has a huge impact on staff morale and the work environment all around. A simple "Thanks for your help!" or "Hey..great job on that project." or whatever, can prompt anyone to keep up the good work. We are never to old to respond to praise. Acknowledging a job well done leads to more jobs well done.

I feel that some of the most important soft skills for the workplace are maintaining a positive attitude, managing your stress and having self dicipline. They are all contagious!!

Jeane,
Isn't it amazing how contagious behaviors are? Which ones do you feel are the most contagious, positive or negative?

I would like to think that "positive" behaviors are more contagious. However,in the short term negative is much strong I think. When I observe one person with a "negative attitude" enter into a crowded room, it is amazing to watch how those that engage this person in converaation little by little, have their moods change, thir smiles are replaced with a pursed lips.
It seems we all have so many challenges, doubts and fears that one negative action can reinforce others worse fears about themselves. I do feel that if you are able to replace a negative attitude with a positive attitude the effects are long term in managing your emotions.

Well, I'd have to say language and communication skills. Without the ability to communicate you cannot convey ideas, desires, instructions, feelings, etc. Try ordering a meal in another language that the other person does not speak and see if you get what you want! "Yo querro una plata de papas fritas y pescado numero quatro, por favor. Y una vaso de leche." See what I mean?

I traveled to another country and was subject to their culture. Talk about culture shock! I didn't know how to say that I liked something, so I smiled and gave the "A-Ok" finger or hand gesture. Holy Cow, Batman! These people, who only seconds ago were smiling too, were now becoming very irate. But I LIKE it...ah, I had better get outta here! Wow, talk about misunderstandings.

Yes, being able to talk with someone makes us uniquely different in this world. The ability to convey abstract ideas to another person is a gift as well as a skill we overlook all to often.

I try to treat my students who exhibit the "deer in the headlamps" look as students that don't even speak English! I must find a way to get my ideas into their head so that they understand. Knowledge is power, and I want to give them horsepower, lots of horsepower!

William,
It is easy to see how ones communication style can easily be misinterpreted by another, especially when there is a language barrier.

I agree. If you want individuals to continue to do a good job, you must continue to praise those individuals. Again we never get tired of hearing how well we are doing in the workplace.

Positive attitude and Enthusiasm!! Highly contagious!!

I think common sense and dependabilty go hand and hand in the most important soft skill. People have to be able to think for themselves and use their judgement.

If some of our students are able to use common sense, what about the ones who react to situations that we believe is an over reaction. How do we identify common sense?

I believe the ability to generate and manage emotions in the classroom is the most important soft skill. It is possible to "turn the tide" in a learning situation so that students are more easily able to retain the knowledge given.

Some of the most important soft skills are to maintain a positive attititute and understanding the emotion of the people around you

That is correct all of the skills that you have listed are very important and needed in the work place.

I would go with positive attitude and being a good listener. It doesn't matter with whom or where you are, people will not see you as a problem but a possible ally in whatever is transpiring in their life. This allows you to work with a receptive audience, which means the possiblity of comunication or understanding is increased in whatever endevor is going on.

I would have to add Empathy to that one. Having the ability to understand the emotions of other people and where they are coming from is a critical skill for working with people.

dependability to me is the most important one. without dependability an instructor looses all respect. Common sense is the next important skill because this is hard to teach. I believe with these two skills all other skills levels can be reached.

Sign In to comment