Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In my opinion what sets highly effective instructors apart from others is a willingness to listen. Taking time to listen and really hear what the students are asking you makes all the difference.

HONESTY! Students need to hear the truth and receive honest feedback or they will not progress. This needs to be done diplomatically and not in an abusive manner, but it must be done.

Loving your job as an Instructor, going above and beyond for your students. I beleive in spending extra time with students that need extra help, to help them to succeed.

You do need to know the material you are teaching!!! But being nice.....I have never seen anyone die from being nice. Smile. Treat people with respect. The Golden Rule will never fail you. My campus president would to tell me I could correct behavior and give constructive criticism and the student would not even realize what had happened. Treat people how you want to be treated! Makes for a positive classroom!!! Being a crab sets up a big barrier!

LATONYA,
Passion definitely goes a long way. Keep up the passion and the rest of the work will come easy.
Philip Campbell

Bruce,
Listening is key and truly does help to motivate as well. Keep listening and using those skills to help.
Philip Campbell

Frances,
Being nice is not something new, but sometimes the easiest thing to do. You are correct, that by being nice never hurt anyone. Keep being nice and stay positive. That will help to overcome many obstacles that you may face in the classroom.
Philip Campbell

Competence, enthusiasm, and a passion for sharing that with others! I work hard to translate my love of the History of Art courses that I teach into something that my students can engage with, embrace, and build upon in terms of their overall education and curriculum. Soft skills factor into this in terms of effectively communicating that passion to them, while also empathizing with them as students and partnering with them toward their successful completion of the class!

i have been teaching for LCB for the last 12 years. i have found that my attitude makes the most impact on the learning enviroment.

In my experience, what I have learned is that the instructor who is not afraid of being imperfect can gain trust and confidence in the majority, if not all students in the class.

I believe that it is this soft skill that makes the instructor one that is known as a "good instructor".

Subject matter competence is integral, yet more so is being able to connect to the students to stimulate their own desire to learn.

I have gone through extreme challenges over the past several years and I found teaching therapeutic. I raised my energy levels for each class because their education superceded my own issues. In turn, being happy for class elevated my sense of well being and from this energy able to meaningfully deliver to the students.

I discovered that students thrived when they saw themselves being able to fully understand the objective of the lesson for the day.

Rely heavily on soft skills when that one student puts his head down and gives the impression your high energy presentation is boreing to him.

Isabel,
I like the fact that there are instructors who are willing to go out and do things differently. Experiment and take chances and your student will love you for it.
Philip Campbell

Allen,
Yes, soft skills are always something that you can lean on in a tough situation.
Philip Campbell

I think what makes an instructor highly effective is multi-faceted. First and foremost is a passion and excitement for what is being taught. Also important is the ability to engage the student in conversation about the topic and to be able to offer real life applications, all while being aware of what is personally going on with the student, being a good listener and providing a safe and respectful environment in which to learn.

So true, the students really need to feel cared for and like we are there for them.

Oops, I put too many qualities in my last response. It's so hard to come up with one quality that is the most important. For me it's a toss up between having integrity and relatability.

Andrea,
Lets just say that both of those are great choices. It is hard to pick one. I think the more we think about tall of them and try to integrate them into our everyday the better off we are.
Philip Campbell

At my school, there is one instructor who the students just love. He motivates, I suppose. But one thing I have noticed is that his universally positive comments do not allow the students to do their best work. He loves everything and never pushes them, or finds ways for them to improve. Generally, the students are also aware of that so they seek more critical opinions.

I see many responses here reflecting the importance of instructor enthusiasm/passion in the classroom, and I agree that is extremely important. Enthusiasm is contagious! I also think that modeling professionalism in the class in terms of being prepared, starting and ending class on time, dressing appropriately, and treating others with respect is very important. I think it's hard to narrow it down to ONE quality, when, in my opinion, it is many qualities put together that make the most effective instructors.

Maureen,
Feedback is crucial no matter what stage of the game you are in. Providing feedback is important especially for students.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment