Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We seem to have a problem with instructors not adapting or they adapt but complain for months after change. If people learned to go with the flow more they would be much happier here! Chnage is never endin! YOU MUST be flexible!

Rachel,
The first thing all teachers are taught is to be flexible. How can we get that across to people? Is there anything we can do from the onset of employment?
Philip Campbell

Good communication skills...but, of course, you must know the subject area. An old friend told me once, "You can't any more teach what you don't know than come from some place you haven't been"

I believe that a good attitude and a sense of humor covers a multitude of sins! The ability to "go with the flow" is also of importance.

I feel it is the way the instructor draws the students out. When we can relate the book concept with real life events and the student is allowed to draw, express,state, and share their own insights into these area learning for all occurs.

Instructors who will use humor, lifes lessons learned, student input, and on the job techniques will keep their students excited about sharing, learning, and expressing new ideas.

Let the students become the teachers when the discussion will let you and even we as instructors continue to learn.

Effective instructors want their students to succeed in class and in life.

Hugh Clark
National College

I agree. I think empathy is one of the common links between the best instructors I know, and is an area for growth in instructors who are challenged to perform to standards. And the best instructors I know are the ones who reach the challenging students; anyone can teach a rockstar!

In my opinion what sometimes set highly effective instructors apart from others is there soft skills or some may call their bedside manner. There is such a disconnect with student and instructor if the instructor does not take the time to get to know each student oppose to categorizing them all as a group. Doing this helps you to understand what your student might be bringing to the table; as well as the student feeling that you care about their well being.

As the information that has been presented thus far points out, people/soft skills are extremely important in being an effective instructor. I have seen many instructors who are brilliant in their field of expertise but lacking soft skills and their classes are snoozers. On the other hand I have seen instructors who are less knowledgable in their field of expertise have amazing classes based on their enthusiasm and ability to relate to their students alone. Therefore in this case, I would say enthusiasm and passion for what you are teaching is a key quality to have and will be what sets effective instructors apart from the less effective ones.

Pamela, Hello! These are both great points. I often say that I could never imagine myself teaching others, but I was a passionate person, who loved her career. So those two items coupled help contribute two of the vital skills that help others learn academically.

Nicole, I could not agree with you more!! I often find that some instructors forget that they are also people and once were in the same seats as their students.

In my opinion, the most important quality is passion. An effective instructor is both passionate about teaching, as well as students. When an instructor is passionate about teaching, they will go above and beyond to make sure the material being taught is clear and understood by all students. This insturctor will strive to ensure that all student have that "ah-ha" moment, when the material clicks and makes sense.
An effective instructor is also passionate about students- as people. Personally, it is important that every student achieves and realizes their dream/ goal of higher education.

Jorell,
The "ah-ha" moment is the best. I am sure that other instructors can say the same. Thanks for sharing.
Philip Campbell

Empathy.

I've always had teachers tell me:

You're smart enough to figure that out.
You know the answer to that.
Read the book.
I've already told you.

Well, in my mind... I wouldn't be standing here in front of you asking a stupid question if I had already known the answer.

And in my classes I try to remember that. Some of my students say I have my own library, and that I inundate them with information... but because ideas change everyday, and new research changes the way we think about things... I think it is a teacher's responsibility to stay current, give students the information which they so desperatly need and remember that each child learns differently from the next and be empathetic enough to help them find the correct answers...

Barry,
Good points. We remember there is no stupid questions, but students always feel like what questions they have may not be good ones. Good for you, for keeping that in the back of your mind.
Philip Campbell

being a role model to the students by mainataining integrity, showing empathy and motivate students towards the goal in a positive manner.

There are many traits of highly effective teachers; knowledge, passion, dependability, motivational skills, and integrity. However, I would like to believe that my positive attitude mixed with enthusiam is the most important quality. I start each term with a syllabus that I placed a "sticker" on - it says Super Star Student. I answer questions with "That was a great question, thank you!" I make comments like-What a brillant class I have! When handing back tests, everyone gets a sticker. Adult learners love stickers! I keep smiling, I keep positive, my enthusiam spreads to my students. Even when a student is struggling, a positive attitude and enthusiam is more helpful than criticism!

Jacqueline,
I will take a page out of your book, Thank you for the post! It is funny that stickers are so motivating. But really it is not the sticker as much as it it is the recognition. Recognition plays on the emotions of people and when there are positive emotions associated with a class or instructor, the outcomes will be great. Keep up the good work.
Philip Campbell

I really like your line of thought here. I think it's good to acknowledge when people try their best. School definately doesn't come as easy to some as it does to others. I like to draw a star on papers where there is much improvement not necessairly on every perfect score of 100%.

In my opinion the important qualities that effective instructors must possess include a positive attitude, high energy and respect for their students as individuals. A positive attitude teamed with high energy goes a long way when delivering the material, especially if the material is convoluted. Understanding students as people, who are there to learn and who strive to make a change in their lives while looking to us as leaders is key. All other positive traits such as empathy, charisma etc are great too.

Jacqueline ,
Thank you for your post. This seems to be the consensus among the participants in this course. Positivity breeds positivity. Keep up the good work.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment