Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Without narrowing the answer to one quality I would say passion and adaptabiity. An instructor has to not only have to believe in what they are teaching, but also has to channel their passion into their instruction. The other quality is adaptabiity. I've spent my entire teaching career teaching adult learners. One of the things I've learned through the years is not all students, and especially adults learn the same or have the same goals. As an instructor you have to adapt to the needs of the students.

Joseph,
Well said. One of the most important things an instructor can teach their students is to role model behaviors that they expect of their students. It is clear that you understand that with your adaptability statements.

Their ability to effectively communicate with their students. If they can ascertain what the students' expectations are as well as articulate what his/her expectations are, then things will go a great deal easier in the classroom.

I certainly have to agree with this! Communication between an instructor and students is crucial. And it takes the form not just of verbal communication but also of being able to anticipate students' difficulties and needs. Taking a genuine, sincere interest in what students' goals are - which is obvious to them when you're not - goes a long way towards creating a really strong dialogue between instructor and student.

I believe instructors like leaders should be examples of what they want their students to be. If you want to teach integrity, dependability, positive attitude, conflict resolution, effective relationships and other skills, the instructor needs to display them as well. You can't teach what you do not know and you can't lead where you will not go!

I think what sets great instructors apart from others has to do with empathizing with students. Students all have different and distinctive issues. Sometimes instructors (I know I am guilty) think about how they performed and reacted during their educational careers and project those perspectives onto the students. We have to keep in mind that our education occurred in a different epoch and things have changed a bit. We have to put ourselves in the shoes of the student and see things from their perspective. This will assist us in view what their particular struggles revolve around and allow us to make adjustments that are more congruent with their lens.

James

Mr. Campbell,

You bring up a very good point. I would like to posit an additional perspective. I think that we have to make adjustments in regards to their expectations as well as adjust for disappointments. I have had some students that were absolutely ecstatic because they received a C. Conversely, I have had students that normally score higher receive a C. There is a bit of disappointment that appears when this phenomenon occurs. I think we have to make room to accommodate for these students and their feelings as well so that they can get back on track and ameliorate their performance.

James

James,
Yes I agree. One of the things to remember is everyone's expectations for them selves are different. What I expect of myself is different than what you expect of your self.

A good instructor can be so for different reasons depending on many variables. The type of student in terms of learning preferences and stage in life and motivations, as well as the type of material being taught can all dictate which attribute will lead to the most success.
Speaking from my own experiences I would put more than the 15% level of importance on the technical aspects of the abilities for the material that I teach, but the soft skills would still represent a majortity of what's required for success.
How I carry myself and how I conduct my class commands more respect for my instruction than my actual expertise does.
That soft skill which I feel most dependent on for my success is my sense of fairness. This ensures that I set reasonable expectations, treat everyone with respect and make the most of the time we have. With fairness as a motivator I ensure that students and I achieve what we mean to.

To me, it is to treat them like they are adults. I try a speak to them on a level that they can understand. I do not talk down to them as that does not help them learn. I try to relay to them that I understand that what I am saying in new and strange but that I was there once and I can help them get to where I am.

I agree with you Denise. The old saying "Do as I say, not as I do", just doesen't cut it. You have to have and be the things you are teaching. Students no matter if they are young or old can soon tell if you believe what you are teaching or just teaching what the book says.

Andrew,
Sounds like when you are speaking to them everything is new and their comfort zones are being stretched. That is not a bad thing.

I would definitely concur. We have to ensure that we have developed perspectives that compliment what it is that we are attempting to accomplish. I think that it is also about perspectives and perceptions. We know that everyone's perceptions is their reality. I have experienced people saying that someone else's perspective is wrong. I thing that the view of this should be that no one's perspective is wrong...just different than those of others...as long as no ethical violations exist.

James

In my opinion, highly effective instructors have the ability to engage students by asking pointed, relevant questions, while conveying the importance of the material being presented. This requires developing a "feel" for the class and an inate understanding of whether the class is "getting it", or if they are in need of further clarification.

Jack ,
True. A soft skill that is hard to develop is intuition. Hard to develop and will get better with time.
Philip Campbell

In a nutshell I believe that having a POSITIVE ATTITUDE; SENSE OF HUMOR; COMPASSION;GOOD LISTENING SKILLS and HUMILITY set highly effective instructors apart from others

In my opinion, enthusiasm, and an ability to give relevance to any subject are the most important qualities that I can think of.

I find that students often need to believe that what they are learning is essential to them, and that it is practical for them to pick up skills now for use in their career. I think that this makes a subject more tangible for students. The enthusiasm of their instructor maybe helps students to consider a subject to be as important as that.

Once students want something, added enthusiasm helps to carry them through from day to day. It's contagious.

Lou,
Great points about enthusiasm. It is contagious and the more enthusiasm that we have on a daily basis the more students will have and the better the environment for the classroom.
Philip Campbell

Every instructor needs to maintain integrity in the classroom. We are training students for the work environment and we should be modeling the behaviors we want them to exhibit.

The instructor is in charge of the classroom and needs to set the tone and develop ground rules for appropriate classroom conduct. This can include a variety of areas, such as appropriate communication, handing in assignments, plagiarism, and timeliness. It is also very important for the instructor to adhere to the established classroom policies.

Energy and enthusiasm are irreplaceable. The kool-aid is much easier to get them to drink (that is, the need to acquire certain skills and practice certain behaviors) in an atmosphere of action, energy and enthusiasm.

Sign In to comment