Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The 4 Management styles that are discussed in this module demonstrated how we as professors plan our day, which doesn't always turned out the way we want. However, I have to say that I encountered all 4 styles as a  student as well as working with some former colleagues. This presentation reinforced to me the importance of planning ahead, involving your audience/students by creating a environment of trust and sensitivity, so that they can be more productive during classroom activities/discussions. Yes, we do need to practice what we preach, but also give them the support they need without being overbearing. There's always room for improvemnet, so let's keep on sharing ideas to better ourselves and others.

I have learned what kind of instructor I am and where I need to improve to become a better instructor. 

I learned about the 4 different types of instructors and learned what combinations I am. 

What I have learn from the 4 different types of instructors in this lesson. Most of us are of the guided type. We have a plan and set of guide lines for the students to follow as close as we can trying not to help them. This will allow them to follow that guide line to succeed in obtaining their goal (a passing grade).  We know not to expect anything too much cause of how they were brought up.  Sometimes we expect to high.  But that is the only way that they can succeed if we push them.

I was not aware that classroom management was number to a student's sucess.  I will definitely place a greater role of management into my lesson plans!

I believe it is possible to have some qualities of all 4 types of instructors.  Structure is very important, however, if the students do not feel that you respect and value them it is hard to teach them.  It is important to be a balance of all the types of instructors in order to acheive an environment where students are set up for success and can master the learning objecetives. 

I didn't know about the different types of instructors but I now know the type of instructor that I want to be. Thank you! Great information!

Lots of really good information in this module. I worried that I was a dictator but was happy they didn't offer that category. Close enough... The way I look at it is that I am learning as much or more as my students are learning. And I have a long way to go. 

Be a guide and imprement all strategies for managing a successful classroom.

Over the years of being an instructor, I have been molded into the guide. In the beginning I was not.

I feel that I am a guide with a little buddy.  I always make expectactions clear with guidance along the way.

This is just what I needed to learn, so worried about doing this wrong!

Reply to Michael Howe's post

Michael these 4 types of classroom management, are very answer. 

• The controller
  • The guide  
  • The buddy
  • The Apathete

Found all interesting, especially learing the different management styles and how to implement them. 

I learned the 4 teaching styles and how to improve the Buddy and Controller to become a Guide.  It is important to learn how to be a guide but we may in actuality be a combination of different teaching styles.  The Guide is ideal and we should strive to have more attributes of a Guide to improve our classroom and interaction with our students.  The suggestion of how to improve ourselves if we are the Controller was very beneficial.  I found out I have a little of the controller and guide, I may need to include more of the Buddy to become well rounded.    

I learned the 4 classroom management styles. I want to be guide for the students.

nice to know about the different styles.

I learned the 4 types of classroom managment.

Classroom management is imperative to student learning.  Once you loose control of a class, it's very difficulty to get it back.

during this course I have learned that I will be implementing the guide class management style. Right now I feel like I am in between a controller and a buddy. This course definitely gave me a few different things that I will start using to manage my classroom a lot better and get all of the students engaged in the assignment.

Sign In to comment