Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

One of my early faults was to not be consistant with the students.The students didn't know what to expect from me as the leader,and that led to problems later in the phase-as others have said before.Start out firm-but be consistant.The students generally rise to your expectations.

Not giving credit to a student at the time that he achieves that credit point. Later on if you make that mistake you should learn from that mistake.

Setting basic guidelines, and then sticking to those guidelines

Hi Peter,
I am sure you have learned consistency is key whenever you are an educator. The students should never have to question what to expect from you. Your reputation should speak for itself.
Patricia

Hi Ricky,
Absolutely, you should learn from any mistake. Keep working at being the best that you can be.
Patricia

My biggest classroom mistake was assuming the students understood the material and moving into the next areas before they actually did. EOC feedback helped me identify the issue, reading what students felt about the material hit home. Lower test scores than usual also helped me identify the problem areas. I assisted others by tutoring the students from all classes.

Describe how you have avoided and helped others avoid that same mistake.

Hello Charles,
When I first started teaching, I would sugar coat things to the students. Now, I shoot straight from the hip with my students. I now tell new instructors to be straightforward with their students from the very beginning because in the real world nothing is sugar coated.
Patricia

The biggest mistake I ever made was coming across like 'Big me, Little you.' I relized that was a learning barrier for the students. I became an instructor because I like to teach others. I no longer wanted my classroom to have the environment of 'Big me, Little you.' I work hard to create a positve environment in the class as team learning with me as the coach. My advice to new instructors would be to be well prepared for class, but never to come across as arrogant.

Hi Dave,
Arrogance from the instructor can cause more harm than good. I've been teaching for over 20 years, and I have never used arrogance to make myself as the authoritative figure. I simply treat my students as I want to be treated. I treat them with much respect, and I receive much respect in return.
Patricia

As a novice instructor I have allowed the class to be disruptive and not well behaved. After realizing the class was out of control, I tried to bring them back in by increasing the discipline. I found out erarly that it is easy to start hard and let up, however, it never works to let the class go and try to get them back.

Hi Tom,
Once the class is gone, it is hard to get them back. Simply start out tough from Day 1.
Patricia

When I fist started I never introduce myself first, I would go into a tiraid about rules and resualts. This usually put the students off and it would take me quite awhile to gain any respect as they felt disrespected.

Today I introduce myself ask the students to intro themselves and let us know where they are from and what they hope to learn from the class. When that is done I talk about my back ground both in the field and as n instructor, this leads into what the class will be about.

Hi Chuck,
Introducing yourself first is always a positive move. The introduction adds a nice personal touch and is a great way to build a rapport with your students. Continue to open up your classes on the first day by introducing yourself first.
Patricia

I have always felt that students learn best in a relaxed classroom. On day one, my main objective is to let them know who I am, what my background is, what I expect from them and make sure that they are comfortable enough to ask questions when they need to. I let them know that I am human, that as a human I will make mistakes and that I will own up to and correct those mistakes that I make. I have found that they will handle making mistakes easier when they realize that I am comfortable enought to laugh about my mistakes.

Hi Linda,
Absolutely, mistakes are inevitable! They are bound to happen by all. It is good to let our students know that we are human, and we too make mistakes.
Patricia

Hi Louis:

That seems to be excellent advice from my experience. If you as the instructor and master of the domain bring your personal issues into the classroom, you are inviting your students to do the same. Talking to them during breaks or before or after class about their personal situations rpovides opportunities for rapport building and should not interfere with class learning.

John

I attempted to answer all questions and learned that some questions need to be addressed later or after class to verify correct information is given or not consume too much class time.

Hi Joseph,
Time is of the essence, but we must make it a point to answer all of the students questions even if we do have to do it either before class or after class. Students expect us to make time for them. They are the reason we have a job.
Patricia

I Think the biggest mistake that I made is letting the students agravate me to the poit of frustration. By controlling the situation and not allow this to happen i exhibit true maturity.

Sign In to comment