Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

students ready to quit

students that are ready to quit can be save. If you can identfy the condition before he or she leaves for good, you can talk to this person and just talk. Talking will sometimes bring out the actual cause of the problem that is leading him or her to want to leave. the problem many time has nothing to do with school and if identfied may be able to be resloved. this might lead to a save.

There are times that i get a student that is not used to receiving a whole lot of information in a short amount of time. i have learned to notice this early on. so i can give them some one on one time when every one else is on the page. this helps them to slow down a bit and not read too much into the subject.

This is a very good point. Sometimes a student just wants someone to listen to them and reassure them they are making the decision to stay in class. There had to be a reason they started class in the first place.

If a student is ready to quit, then something is wrong and we need to step up right away and find out why the student is feeling that way. If it is a problem that needs to be solved there are things that could be done to solve it or lesson the effects the problem is creating for the student. It could be as easy as changing groups in class or tutoring the student.

I agree with focusing on why they are here in the first place. In motorcycle theory we use an "About Me" sheet that the students fill out, and we keep on file. Mr. Hibbs, our SSI has found these extreemely usefull in reminding students why they made the descision to come here, and renewing their interest in staying.

I completely agree with you. Most of the students I have run into that are on the edge, are generaly quiet or isolate themselves from the general group. By talking to them, they can feel more like a part of the group and open up a bit. With this, they can find motivators within themselves to push harder.
RW

Hello Steve,
As educators, we must be good listeners. Simply listen to what the student has to say. Sometimes just by listening to the student, it makes the student feel better.
Patricia

Hi John,
A student should never be allowed to quit without personnel finding out why. Most of the time, the issues/concerns can be resolved easily.
Patricia

I agree, taking the time to talk with the student can really make a difference. I had a "sleeper" in a previous class who worked until 2am then got up at 5am for school. Eventually they admitted it was time for another position and it helped them immensely

I find this is the case with most of my students. They work hard to provide for their families and often times they don't know how work affects school. Changing their work hours helps a great deal.

Does anybody find the suggestion that a guest speaker will help in changing the course of a near-quit student a bit of a stretch. I've been racking my brain to see how a guest speaker, assuming that guests speak on the subject matter of the course curriculum and not off topic, would directly affect a student's decision to stay in a class. Help plz?

I find the "listening" strategy to work well. Often I've seen that students who are normally exceptional are discouraged simply by the idea that they might get a B or C for the class. Usually students will come to me first and explain their poor attendance/performance (work, family, or transportation issues are common), but it's the ones who don't come to me who are most despondent. Listening to them lets them know I care, and will work with them to help them complete the class and hopefully their degree.

Hi Joseph,
Of course,listening is very big in the education business. You are right, by listening, it shows studens that you truly care about their welfare and well being. Many times, we as educators, must simply listen. Listening is a virtue for educators.
Patricia

I agree that talking to a student one-on-one increases the chances of keeping the student in class since some need the special attention. But, I think that providing attention in the classroom provides better support. Most of these students lack self-esteem. Showing your concern privately is helpful, but showing your concern publicly means even more. Trying to deal with the problem privately may keep the student in class, but public concern is needed to get them out of their shell.

Hi Norman,
Great point! Give them as much attention as you can in the classroom/public area, but you can not let one student consume all or most of your time.
Patricia

I agree. Students come with alot of baggage and don't know how to set priorities and become overwhelmed. Listening and finding constructive answers together works well.

Hi Christine,
It is amazing how adults can not think for themselves, problem solve, and/or prioritize. It saddens me based on their limited LIFE skills. The solution for most of our students is to QUIT.
Patricia

Right, and then they are right back where they started. The problem is that "failure" is a familiar territory. It might not be where they want to hang their hat, but at least they know what to expect. The uncharted waters of success are terrifying when you don't know how to react to success!

Hi Christine,
I understand what you are saying. I've experienced where some of my students are afraid to succeed because then they will have to perform. It is a lot easier going back to what they know, but we must push them to the very end.
Patricia

Yes I agree. Positive encouragement and seeing that your instsructor believes in you go a long way. The students need to keep seeing that they are persuing a "career" not just a job. It's so rewarding to see the student who wanted to quit graduate with a proud smile on her face!

Hi Christine,
You said it! One of my proudest moment as an instructor is for a student to walk across that stage at graduation,in spite of all the hurdles she or he had to cross.
Patricia

Sign In to comment