Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Helping the slow learner

In my class I had a student that just could not keep up with the expectations no matter how I tried to help or encourage and I felt helpless.

I found a similiar situations in many of my classes. What I found in some instances is that they are so insecure about their ability to compete and or participate that they shut down before they even get started. I keep them after class and get an understanding of what their fears might be. They in some instances will express their fears. Once doing so, I can work around those fears and help them to understand how to overcome some of those concerns. I work with them one to one until they get it or I'll have them work with a student who can keep them focused. It works...But, I'll admit not for all.

This is fantastic methodology!! I especially like the last part, having the student work with another student who will guide them and help keep them focused. We work in a lab-based enviornment. So, when i come across a student that has trouble keeping up and grasping the concepts I will partner him in a lab group with a student that i know will help him through the class.

It's an excellent way of helping a challenging student as well as giving the other student valuable leadership/mentoring experience.

Great stuff!

Slow learners have taught me that success for them should never be underestimated. I have had several occasions where I would work very hard with some students and practically give up on them only to later find out they became successful. I look at all students very differently now. I see them all as having the potential to succeed. For some, the learning curve clicks in after they leave you. It is what they take with them from you that really counts.

Hi Anthony,
I agree! Sometimes we are too quick to prejudge. Let's give EVERY student all we have so that everyone can have an equal shot at our educational institution to be successfu.

Patricia Scales

I have the same problem since my program is difficult and believe some students aren't fully aware of the program they are in

Hi Linda,
One question needs to be asked, Is the student capable of the program? After careful observation, if you feel as though the student is not capable, take the necessary steps of recommending another program to the student, but let the ultimate decision be up to the student.

Patricia Scales

In response to Shawn, I also work in a lab environment and have come across this same issue many times. I remember one young man in particular who was constantly doing one particular thing wrong. I told him what he was doing wrong multiple times and multiple ways. I showed him how to do it right. I watched him do it and told him where he was going wrong so he could see it while he was doing it. I got several other instructors into his booth and asked them to work with him, all to no avail. He kept repeating the same mistake.

One of his friends who was in a higher class asked if he could try to help him out and I agreed. 5 minutes later, the young man came out to me all excited and told me that he now knew what he was doing wrong. Lol, his friend had told him the exact same thing that all of us had, but for some reason it finally sunk in.

Students helping each other out is a wonderful thing. You just need to be careful about it. Some students will start to bypass their instructor and go straight to another student. This can lead to a break down of their respect for you and your authority.

Hi Sean,
I love how you tried your colleagues first, and then agreed to allow a peer to help the student. We should give it our all to try to help our students as you have done. I too have seen where another student can get a light bulb to finally turn on for others.

Patricia Scales

I have often had concerned students who are deathly afraid of failure. They also tend to stop and freak out before they get started with an assignment. I find that asking questions about their past sucesses and failures give me insight into their situation. Those who have failed, and learned how to recover from failure, tend to overcome fears best. Those who have never failed, don't know how to recover and as a result, they are so afraid that it keeps them from moving forward.

Hi Elizabeth,
I fully understand! I have had some of these students during my tenure! These students can be very exhausting, but we have to cheer them on as best as we can.

Patricia Scales

I've had similar success with tutoring students one-on-one. Sometimes just explaining things differently to the student helps them understand. I'll have to admit, I usually learn a lot from these situations as well, about my methods and my delivery. If I explain something differently in a tutoring session and it clicks with a student, I'll use it in my class discussion, or in the lab.

I have found that often students will so fear failure that they are unable to even perform or grasp the most basic concept or task. Not because they are truly unable but because they are just fearful. I have found that if I can get the student to see small successes early and focus on them it reduces their perception that failure is inevitable and opens up a greater feeling that “I can do this”. Once the student can see that success is possible the barriers start to crumble and they tend to do well.

Hi Daniel,
I agree! No one likes failing, and it is a super idea to let students exeperience a small dose of success so that it changes their mindset to let them know that they too can succeed.

Patricia Scales

I have done that many times. Sometimes I find that the other students might not be as willing to help the student. Class after class they just get tired of carring the extra weight. There is a difference in between trouble with one course and trouble with the whole program. In which case I would agree with what was mentioned earlier, maybe its not for them.

Sign In to comment