Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

coping with stress

I find that I have two types of stress in my life.
One of these is home life stress. The other is work life stress. I have had great luck with divide and conquer. I can deal with each of these just fine by themeselves but have issues when I get hit by both at the same time. So I have a coping mechanism that I use that has helped me. I have a point olong the route too work that I call the turning point. I shut off the home life when I pass this point and turn on the work life. The same works at the end of the day only in reverse, shut off work and turn on Home. I dont allow myself to think of the other while in the mode of one. Now only once in a great while do I ever become overwhelmed.

Very interesting approach Donald. I like the idea of the turning point. I'd love to hear more about how you shut off home and work life each way though. Would be interesting to know how you get thoughts of each out of your mind at the right times, especially with emails and phone calls that can cause worlds to collide.

I would have to agree with that. Although it seems easier to leave the hme stresses at home, I do find myself thinking about work related issues at home. when at home, I try to focus an ways to improve myself as an instructor or how to improve on the quality of the presentations. I find this reflection to be more of a positive reflection and focuses me on doing better next time. I've found that in many cases, stresses I personally deal with (put on myself) are sthe stresses I have the ability to reduce or eliminate. I try not to dwell on the things that I have no control over.

It's really hard to build a firewall between work and family worlds Donald. Many instructors have challenges trying to stop thinking about work when they are at home. The opposite is also true.

Don… I like your approach. I find that staying focused on positive things and avoiding negative self talk such as “I can’t do that” or “I’m too old.” When your self talk is negative, you will feel more stress. Instead of thinking what you can’t do, remember what you can do.

I agree Steven. Focusing on the positive is so important. It can completely change our outlook to place emphasis on things that are going right in our lives. It can also change the perceptions that others have of us. When we are positive, we give off a great energy.

I have a phrase that I use with students who are suffering from home non-school related sress; I tell them to try and leave their problems the other side of the curb. By this, I mean for them to forget those issues or stressors when they pull into the parking lot and concentrate on school work while they are here. I try and do the same myself, not taking work related stress home or vice versa, it is not easy, but a long commute helps. Even if traffic is bad, (and it usually is!) I enjoy the drive and it gives a feeling of separation that helps deal with whichever stress I am leaving behind.

Sign In to comment