Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Achieving a work-life balance is a big stressor for me. I am not happy at my job and have been looking for a new one to no avail. I am also trying to build up my own client base so that I can work for myself as I once did, but that is time consuming and there is no set time table as to the how and when to attract more clients. I am also getting ready to teach again and to take continuing education as well. It seems I have way more things to do than time to do it.
I also have a nine year old and a husband that would like me to be around some of the time.

Paperwork. I am partially blind and the computer screens, software and paperwork is difficult and tiring to manage.

Stress comes with deadlines...Life is stressful when you have more than one title. We all have to do it. I try to unwind and walk on the beach to let it all go. You cannot control it but you have to not let it control you.
P O'Dwyer

Back when I was just a lowly pastry chef, all I had to worry about was getting my daily tasks done (bread baked, pastries made, etc.). Now, I am responsible for the learning, retention and skillset of dozens of people. Generational differences are a stress, as Millennials wait for information and skills to be handed to them in a nice neat packet. When there is conflict between class members, that's a huge amount of stress as well.

No, you are not alone. Students and administration do not seem to think instructors need or want food! My lunch has to be spent at the desk answering e-mails, looking at a crying student or explaining why I am not at a meeting. I realize everyone has a job to do but it seems the instructors jobs are often seen as trivial and easy (at least where I work). My only time for me is my ride home, I live on the coast and can look at the water the entire drive.

I second that motion. With a long commute to and from work I use this time to de-stress.

I'm new at my school. Here the commom stressor seems to be students who are here for other reasons than getting an education. They don't participate in class, they don't turn in homework,
they don't pass tests or they just don't show up. And then they wonder why they are failing the class and blame the teacher. There is a lack of responsibility for the actions and the consequeces for those actions. Hopefully the "children" will grow up.

I try not to let myself get stressed, but when I first started teaching I was stressed out all the time. Being my first time teaching people and not having any direction on how to go about it I was stressed out. So I made power points and work sheets and taught in front of a mirror a few good times to find myself comfortable. As time went on I found how I felt most comfortable teaching while hitting all the students learning needs. Breath, practice, and study your reading and it'll be alright.

Some major stressors in your life could be the company we kind. Not everyone is good for you.

Here are the top two stressors in my career:

1. Student needs (absences/tardies, lack of communication, make-up work, excuses, rudeness, etc.)

2. College requirements (documenting when a student is absent, sending messages/making warning notices, grade reductions)

Not having enough "ME" time is a big stressor. I can relate to my night student who are working during the day and coming to school at night. I have been there and feel their pain of being stress but motivated as well to complete their education.

Students are often major stressors along with grading papers, doing various professional assessments and meeting performance criteria.

I know for some people this may be impossible, but I have to agree that this helps tremendously. I make a habit of stepping away from the building at least three times a week and I can honestly say that it works and I continue do it on both my job as a pharmacy technician and as the instructor of the pharm tech class. It just works

What doesn't cause stress, it is just a matter of how we deal with things.
Prioritizing and flexibility are ways I deal with stress and teaching. I may go in thinking I have priority number one to deal with, but find number one is number two because I have something new popping up.

I DO NOT HAVE A FULL TIME JOB BUT, JUGGLING MAKING EVERYONE HAPPY AND FULFILLING MY RESPONSIBILITIES TO EACH PERSON THAT I DO CERTAIN JOBS FOR IS STRESSFUL TO ME! I CAN ONLY BLAME MYSELF AND NEED TO HAVE BETTER TIME MANAGEMENT AND MAKE LISTS!!!

The general area of stress we are coping with in our department are huge, significant curriculum changes, which affects our lectures, syllabus, exams, reviews, and grading. Because this has been such a long and transforming process, it has created many hours of additional work for the instructors. These are hours that would be better spent prepping for and constructing creative lessons for our students.
One of the ways I relieve stress are to take a 20-30 minute walk at least twice a week. Incorporating this has definitely contributed to my overall health and wellbeing. I feel refreshed and renewed just getting out of my cubicle and enjoying nature for a few minutes!
Another way I relieve stress is to get away from my desk and simply sit in my car to correct papers.
Lastly, I listen to music via my earphones while emailing or correcting papers.

Honestly the disorganization of my coworkers affects me and I end up having to do twice the work which adds even more stress. Also my students just are not dedicated nor have the work ethic that I believe is necessary to have. So in the long run I believe that I hold too high of expectations which is causing myself more harm then good.

Cynthia, It sounds like you have a few reliable outlets for managing through stress situations. This is a wonderful position to be in. It's nice to have a variety of outlets to fall back on.

Dr. Melissa Read

Some of the general areas that I find stressors are:
1. Students who seem to thrive on conflict.
2. Feeling like I'm being asked to put in full-time hours when I'm a part-time employee and only being paid for part-time (trying to complete administrative duties outside of the classroom or tasks that don't directly relate to the classes that I am teaching at that time)
3. Juggling work and personal life.
4. Trying to make time for myself and not feeling like it's possible at times.

"To do" lists can help with some of this. Otherwise blasting my favorite music on the radio, playing the piano, or exercise tend to help. I have sometimes decided to watch a late night movie to help myself unwind as well.

Oh there are many stressor in my profession. Students, other teachers, management, that only names a few. Throw in all the stuff from the personal life an you got yourself one interesting stress cocktail!

Sign In to comment